How Green is Bulb?

I see that the Bulb website says "To cover any shortfalls, we purchase renewable energy on the wholesale market. "

Can you tell me what percentage of Bulb’s electricity is covered by Renewable Energy Certificates purchased on the wholesale market? Do you make sure that such certificates do not come from municipal waste incinerators?

I do not want my electricity coming from an incinerator. Incinerators may claim that a proportion of their electricity is “renewable” (because it is generated from waste wood etc.) but the reality is that they incinerate materials that can and should be recycled, and they incinerate plastics thereby releasing all the fossil carbon into the atmosphere. In my view, any Renewable Energy Certificates that they may be entitled to do not make up for the environmental damage caused.

I hope you can reassure me that none of my electricity comes from such polluting sources of electricity.

1 Like

Hey @GoGreen :wave:

Welcome to Community :partying_face:

We have direct contracts with generators (PPAs) and the amount they provide can vary depending on the day. We support UK generators and we recently signed around 30 new PPAs with small, family-run businesses- You can read more about the generators we work with as well.

We have enough PPAs with renewable generators to meet up to 40% of our members’ demand. We buy the rest of our electricity on the wholesale market with a REGO to match. We use REGOs as long as the governance is strong and we know that the certificates support renewable generators in the UK.

Every carbon offset certificate Bulb buys is also verified through 1 of 3 internationally recognised standards: the Gold Standard, the Verified Carbon Standard or the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)'s Clean Development Mechanism.

We have a post about carbon offsetting here & blog posts about our projects, too, if you’re interested :relaxed:

Let us know if you have any more questions as this is a really important topic!

– H :bulb: