How-to #1: Moving home with Bulb

Hi everyone :wave:

We’ve been looking at frequently asked questions on the Bulb Community, and one big one around this time of year is moving home. So here’s a step by step guide on how to let us know if you’re moving in and out of properties supplied by Bulb.

You can do this in your Bulb account without needing to get in touch with us.

As always, we have handy help articles with more details of our processes here and here

Moving out

If you’re moving out of a property supplied by us, all you need to do is head to your Bulb account and click ‘Move out’ in the top right corner.

You’ll then be asked to provide the following information. If you don’t know who’s moving into the property after you, that’s fine.

Your move out date is the date your contract ends, rather than the date you physically move out of the property.

You’ll then be asked to supply your final meter readings. If you need any help getting your final reading, there are help articles included on the page.

Once we’ve received this information from you, you should receive your final bill within 2 weeks.

If you’d like us to supply your new property, then you’ll need to start a new switch to us. If the new property is supplied by us already, then you just need to complete the Moving in process outlined below!

Moving in

If you’ve moved in to a property supplied by us, you may have received communications in the post addressed to The Occupier. All you need to do is follow the link to https://bulb.co.uk/moving-in/.

Note: even if you’re planning on switching away to another supplier, there’ll likely still be a window where the property is supplied by Bulb as switching takes 21 days. Providing your move-in details can help us settle up for this period more smoothly.

You can find your address by searching the property postcode here:

Our Moving in form will ask you to provide some details, including the date you became responsible for the property. Please note this is the official date you took over the property, rather than just the day you moved in.

You can also provide your first meter readings for the property here.

Once you’ve completed this form, you should receive an email inviting you to sign in to your account.

Any questions?

If you have any questions at all about our Moving processes, feel free to get in touch with us below. We can help with all Moving-related queries - except maybe the packing and unpacking part. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

When someone moves into a property already supplied by Bulb they’re not eligible for a referral reward. If they unknowingly use a referral link to sign-up, they are redirected to the move-in page but they are at no point told they won’t get a referral reward, which causes confusion.

As there is already a process whereby referral rejection emails are sent to both referrer and referee, could this move-in criteria not be added to the existing criterion?

Hi @norman7115, thank you for the feedback, that’s really useful to know. I’ll pass this onto our team :+1:

I’m likely moving in the near future, so just wanted to ask what happens to account credit when moving?

The screen shot here says “Close Account”, so does that mean any Credit after the final bill is Refunded, or will it move over to the new property once completing the “Move in” page?

Thanks!

Hi @BritishLibrary -

Welcome to the Bulb Community!

Any remaining credit you have in your account will be refunded to you once your final bill is issued. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Jim :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,

I’ve just moved into a new flat and I signed up to Bulb energy. Now I got an email saying it would take a few weeks to complete the switch however, I’m not switching providers as I’ve literally moved two days ago.

Is there any way I can let Bulb now of this circumstance? Also I don’t wanna be charged penalty fees for not continuing with the existing provider (whatever it might be, as I have not been aware/told by the landlord or agency). Should I make a note of any electricity reading straight away just in case?

Thank you,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I did this a few years ago. Whilst you dont hold an account, a provider will be assigned to powering your home and taking your money. They will write to you in time.

I just signed up as normal, they deal with this provider (whether you know who provides your home or not). When you get switched, bulb will pass over the final meter reading to your old provider, who in turn will ask for your money.

Hope this helps and hopefully others concur that i am correct :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You need to contact the existing energy supplier of the property (with meter readings) and take over the account. Only then can you start a switch. If you’ve started a switch to Bulb when you’re not recognised by the provider at your new address, then the switch will likely fail.

1 Like

Hi @dannyusta

Welcome to the community :raised_hands: :sun_with_face:

Exactly as @drock and @norman7115 have explained.

Energy switches always take 21 days so in the meantime you will be with the current supplier by default.

You should get in touch with the current provider and give them the meter reads from when you moved in, as you don’t want to be paying for someone else’s energy!

Best,
Mel