How to choose your heat pump installer

Hi all :wave:

We’ve been chatting with @col1 about his experience with getting a heat pump installed (he has an air source heat pump). It’s an air to water heat pump, so it heats up the water which then heats up his home.

@col1 has a recent experience in having a heat pump installed so we’ve invited him to share some tips.

Now, over to you @col1 :blush:

Niamh :bulb:

Hi my name is Col,

I’ve had a heat-pump installation for a few months and think I can now talk a bit about the experience. And the things to look out for.

You need to be sure that you choose the right installer for the job otherwise it can be a massive faff.

MCS accreditation

Unlike other heating systems, there’s no legal obligation for installers to have a particular accreditation to fit a heat pump. I recommend you choose an installer that’s certified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS). This is one of the criteria to be eligible for the numerous incentives Bulb tells me is out there ( Renewable Heat Incentive, Green Homes Grant and Energy Saving Trust Scotland Loan.) These are all incentives to promote renewable heating systems.

Bulb also tell me you can use Energy Saving Trust’s Renewables Installer Finder to find MCS-registered installers in your local area. Thanks Niamh for showing me this.

Consumer Code

MCS accredited companies should be a member of an approved Consumer Code. This was actually something I’d read about online and reassured me that the companies I chose were reliable. This protects consumers by providing access to an ombudsman, deposit insurance and a consumer advice line. Apparently the two biggest consumer codes are the Renewable Energy Consumer Code (RECC) or the Home Insulation & Energy Systems Contractors Scheme (HIES), so make sure that your chosen supplier is approved by these groups - otherwise you might be on the wrong foot if something goes wrong.

Payments

It’s important to know that any payment you make is being protected. My neighbour who recommended my installers had originally been scammed (or nearly scammed) learned this the hard way for the rest of us. Installers should put your deposit in a separate bank account or use a protected payment scheme. They must also secure all advance payments with an approved insurer. Pretty much all online vendors have this anyway.

It’s a good idea to discuss how payments will work, and make sure that your chosen installer’s insurance policy covers the timescale of the installation. Always check the Ts and Cs - and don’t be scared to discuss prices up front!

Reviews

It’s very important to check review sites to see the experiences that others have had getting their heat pumps installed. I was looking on TrustATrader. Look at the * rating and reviews to get a general impression of the company.

Get more than one quote

It’s best to ask for more than one quote when you’re shopping around. Pricing is important, but you need to make sure that the installer will listen to your specific needs and explain any extras that might not be covered in your initial quote. The installer should survey your home to make sure you’re installing the correct heat pump for your property. If they didn’t quote us then they didn’t get to work for us.

That’s the main things I can think of, but open to other points.

Col

2 Likes

@col1

Thanks so much for your insight. I really enjoyed reading through this and learning more about the process myself.

In terms of having space to house this equipment. Did you have any issues around this? Are you able to share some photos of your heat pump?

–Daisy :bulb: