How to Patronise your Customers (because they come up as the cheapest)

I’m bankrolling Bulb Energy to buy gas and electricity, only it’s cheaper to pay in advance for life’s essential fuels with them rather than other utility companies at the moment. As a brand new customer, I could really do without being patronised about feeling “energised” because of “all that green energy”. I am buying bloody gas and sodding electricity, not a fruit smoothy!

As soon as they rake their prices up, i’ll be switching once again!

terminology wont suit everyone but at least (so far) they keep us informed as to what is happening.

Hi @ian3321,
We try and do things different at Bulb and we sincerely hope that using more colloquial language doesn’t come across as patronising. One way we are doing things differently is by taking your payments at the start of the month. With many energy companies, you’ll pay for them to borrow money in order to buy your electricity for that month, as they take your payments at the end of the month. We think that money is better off in your pocket, so instead of paying a bank to borrow money, we ask for the money upfront and pass the saving onto you.

@scudo Glad you’re happy with our more informative approach. We’ve got a blog post out soon that is going to go into more detail about how Bulb’s pricing is worked out and it will hopefully provide more transparency if you needed any. Link: https://bulb.co.uk/blog/

I'm bankrolling Bulb Energy to buy gas and electricity, only it's cheaper to pay in advance for life's essential fuels with them rather than other utility companies at the moment. As a brand new customer, I could really do without being patronised about feeling "energised" because of "all that green energy". I am buying bloody gas and sodding electricity, not a fruit smoothy!

As soon as they rake their prices up, i’ll be switching once again!

I’ve recently Changed to bulb and I can say the ethos bulb have with what they are doing is the future of the energy market. Reading about Hayden & Amit I can see this company going from strength to strength.

Hi @robert3309 thanks for the kind words and love.
@ian3321 does have a point that the super-friendly tone is not for everyone. It’s something we are trying to get right – a friendly tone that doesn’t feel overbearing. :slight_smile:

I love Bulb’s lingo and adverts, they quite catchy I must say. The colour scheme and words are eye catching. Hope my referral link is www.bulb.co.uk/refer/shamsuddin eye catching too :slight_smile:

lol @shamsuddin you are so funny and cheeky

I reckon one reason the terminology doesn’t bother me is because it is infrequent and you have to put something in an email unlike where if waiting in a queue they will say thank you for waiting…Like did I have a choice! Or
Have a nice day…do they actually care? The main reason many retail outlets use this terminology is due to mystery shoppers, if they don’t use it they get marked down and in some cases disciplinary action is taken against them.
The script that many retailers use is set in stone and repetitive and therefore loses its sincerity and does start to irritate shoppers.

To be honest I just find it pleasant to read the friendly manner that Bulb has adopted. It’s a refreshing change change from the “don’t like our massive price hike, then switch to another provider” that I got from British Gas. I switched

@scudo Completely agree with you, everyone here finds the concept of working from a script quite amusing. We’re all on free-flow here. (we do hear some rather deep and meaningful phone conversations during the day)

@james5702 They’ve certainly got a particular delivery style. Happy it’s working out for you here

I guess you can’t please everyone. Some people are just naturally miserable :o
I like Bulb’s enthusiasm and friendliness :slight_smile:

@debra5058 I hope that’s something you continue to enjoy for a long time to come

I’ve only been with Bulb a short time but I’m happy thus far. On the one occasion I needed to phone them it was answered quickly and the issue dealt with straightforwardly. Dealing with Bulb does feel different than dealing with the larger suppliers. I hope my experience continues in the same vain.
I’m a fan of the enthusiasm.

Cheers, @john5467! We’re a fan of yours too :wink: