Huge bill

I have just had my first bill and it’s come in at 160!!! I live in a 2 bed house just me and my partner. We never leave
Ights on and always unplug things when we are not using them. We have heating on about 1 hour a day. How can it be so high???

Is that based on estimates or actual figures you have submitted.

I last submitted a bill on 3rd December so estimate. Why would it be so high tho?

You can check your bill against the kWH used to see if it is correct.
Based on estimates Bulb will use historical information and not actual figures.

The estimate was higher than my usage not by much tho. I only just bought the house last month and There are no historical bills and I was told it would be around 60 a month. I just don’t understand how it can be so expensive

The cost of Bills are much higher at the moment due to wholesale costs and the same applies to all utility companies unfortunately. Although to go from £60 to £160 does seem a bit high. When you switched to Bulb did you use size of house or yearly figures from old supplier?
If you can PM me your usage figures (kWh) for the month for elec & gas I can work out an approx figure for you to see how it compares.

I used size of house. I am a first time buyer and only moved into my house last month. The old buyers were with British Gas and I switched to bulb about 2 weeks after I completed.

Using size of house is not the best for estimates, it could be that is why it gave a lower monthly rate. £160 does still seem a bit high though.
For the month of Nov I was £111 (4 bed detached) and that was £98 for the same period last year.
When I moved in to this house it took me about 4 months to get the heating under control, slowly tweaking it so the bills came down but I was still comfortable.

PMs hopefully resolved.

@Beth_m1 You sent readings after the bill date was due so it was based on estimates. In the future if you can send them just before we send the bill then the bill will be accurate.

In this case I have corrected the read and will send the new bill to you over the next week :slight_smile:

I only just bought the house last month and There are no historical bills and I was told it would be around 60 a month. I just don’t understand how it can be so expensive

There will be historical bills held at the Energy Regulator which Bulb would have been given access to on your switched. However, these historical bills will relate to the property and not the occupants and so if the previous owners were heavy users of gas/electric, Bulb would have been passed their average consumption details and Bulb would have used those figures unless they receive actual meter readings.