I do not want smart meters

I do not want smart meters fitted at my property, can I legally refuse. How do I inform bulb of my decision. Thanks

By law you do NOT have to have " smart" meters fitted if you don’t want them.
You do not have to contact bulb, just wait until they contact you and decline the offer

1 Like

@robertharp52
It’s an opt in system rather than opt out.
Just ignore the email with the offer when it comes.
Simples. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @robertharp52 and welcome to our community :zap:

That is no problem at all. I’ve recorded on our system that you don’t want a smart meter. You will not be contacted again about changing to a smart meter.

If you ever change your mind, just let us know and we can organise an exchange for you.

Thank you Noah for your response, and thank you to the others who have responded.

1 Like

How to get Bulb to stop contacting me to get a smart meter? I don’t want one and will not agree to having one installed but get mails and letters constantly requesting me to make an installation appointment.

Hi @mightymouse - Ive joined this to this thread as it was the same request. I’ve also added you to our list to stop contacting you about smart installations :blush:

Is there any way of getting Bulb to stop sending me paper letters every couple of weeks nagging me to get a smart meter, which I do not want. For a while they were sending nag texts as well, but at least I got those stopped. If they are sending these letters to every Bulb customer, the cost in postage and letters must be considerable, so by stopping them they could (in theory) reduce their prices, maybe?

Hi @gwarowe :wave:

Welcome to Bulb Community!

Sorry you’ve been getting these letters so frequently. I’ve sent off the request to get those stopped, but please let us know if you have any other issues with that.

Thanks,
Cara :bulb:

I expect they will become compulsory before long, just as water meters became compulsory after a few years of persuasion. I’ve just given in on the promise that I would be able to measure my exported power and then decide whether to be paid for actual export or the deemed 50% of generation.

Hi @Consument - welcome back to Community :wave:

So as part of the Government scheme, all energy suppliers will be contacting their customer’s between now and 2024 to arrange a smart installation. But customer’s will be able to say no if they don’t want one. There’s a great Which article which explains it further.

I can see that you’ve got some questions about smart meters and export payments on this thread, so we’ll get back to you on there :sun_with_face:

All the best,
Megan