I have been overcharged!!

Hi guys,I’m completly confused i moved to bulb as its claimed to be cheaper and i was happy with the provider until i received a bill over £250 for a months usage in July baring in mind its been the hottest summer in 26 years and the gas was used very little only to heat water for my 4 month old baby.It states ive used more that triple in July than december last year,it doesn’t add up!and yes I sent the meter readings…any help or advice would be appreciated,thanks.

If you have submitted monthly meter readings, are these showing on your actual statement for the 12 July 2018?

Is it only now that you spotted the higher energy use for June-July period?

Thanks for the comment,yes I have submitted the readings,I’ve not seen as the payments are direct debit and i only just signed into my account out of interest to see im in debt to bulb…the gas was hardly used that month so i cant work out how it could possibly be that much

Thanks for the comment,yes I have submitted the readings,I've not seen as the payments are direct debit and i only just signed into my account out of interest to see im in debt to bulb...the gas was hardly used that month so i cant work out how it could possibly be that much

Every month Bulb send you a statement which typically says:

Hi ***,

Since the 1st October 2018 you’ve used £93.43 of energy. Your account is now £** in credit. We’ve attached your statement with more details.

If you can, send us a meter reading within three days of receiving your monthly payment reminder each month. Then your statement will accurately reflect your usage. Without them, we’ll use estimated readings instead.

Please be aware this is a public forum so don’t provide any personal information.

But to get a better understanding of your problem if you look in your statement for 12 July, and scroll down to possibly pages 3 & 4 it shows how Bulb worked out the costs for your electricity and gas. There is also details of your meter readings, against any of the meter readings does it show estimate?

@shanaefollows1234 This high bill was caused by a meter reading that you added. As you hadn’t submitted us a reading in quite a few months we didn’t know what your usage should be. It turned out our estimates were too low and therefore this bill was catching up on the previous months.

Hi, thanks for the reply I dont understand how I was in credit before July as there was previous meter readings that all flowed in sync?I left British Gas to join you as you claim your cheaper but actually your more expensive.I became a dad 4 months prior to July working full time so a meter reading isn’t the first thing on my mind,it should be your responsibility to manage the readings of it’s not resolved I will have to change supplier

Hi, thanks for the reply I dont understand how I was in credit before July as there was previous meter readings that all flowed in sync?I left British Gas to join you as you claim your cheaper but actually your more expensive.I became a dad 4 months prior to July working full time so a meter reading isn't the first thing on my mind,it should be your responsibility to manage the readings of it's not resolved I will have to change supplier

If you would like to do a cost comparison your should find Bulb are cheaper than British Gas.

Speaking as another customer. Each month you should have received an email from Bulb asking you to submit a meter reading for an accurate statement otherwise they advise you will receive an estimated statement. It is a customers responsibility to provide meter readings you can’t shift the blame to Bulb. Once a year Bulb will send out a meter reader to read your meter.

The email requesting a meter readings looks like this:

Hi *****,

Just so you know, your monthly payment of £**.00 will come out of your bank account in three days.

If you’d like us to calculate your monthly statement using your actual usage, send us a meter reading today or tomorrow. No worries if you can’t, we’ll use an estimated reading instead.

Bulb’s terms and condition also says:

3.15. So we can bill you as accurately as possible, you must give us an up-to-date meter reading for your energy at least every 90 days and when requested by Bulb if there is a reason to need more up to date meter readings.

At my previous address I was told by Bulb only to submit meter readings every 3 months. They never requested a monthly read in the 12 months I was with them, though I did submit them monthly for my own peace of mind.