I need to cancel my account

I have moved house and no longer need your services :frowning:
But I have told the new buyer to use you

how do I close my account

Hi @JasonM1988! You can let us know you’ve moved out by clicking ‘Moving House’ on your online acount. We’ll just need to know your final meter readings and the date you ceased responsibility for the bills. We’ll then close the account and issue a final bill. If you’re in credit, we’ll issue you a refund or transfer this. If there’s a debt we’ll take one final payment from you. Thanks for recommending us, and best of luck with the move! Tallulah