I want actual reading instead of estimate

Since January 2019 , I have been trying to talk to someone at Bulb to get a actual reading of my electric meter. Even though three times a meter reader has been out to read said meter, Bulb are still sending me estimates which I think are way too high. How can I get to speak to someone who can respond? Each time I’ve tried they have said they will pass it in to their manager and then I hear nothing. Feel I’m due a large refund . I’ve just altered my direct debit to £50 a month in hope that they will now act on that as they aren’t getting their usual £119 a month . Any one got any advice ? Thanks in advance .

Have you been submitting actual readings via your Bulb account all this time?

You’re supposed to read the meter and submit the readings yourself.

Hi, reading the meter is the problem.

A) On the form , they still have me as an economy 7 user which is a totally different type of meter reading and I not able to use it. Ive never been on economy 7 and lived in the house for over 25 years.

B) I Began sending the of the readings photos which they said seemed wrong. They said they would send someone out and told me I needed a new meter. This was installed in January 2019.

And yet I’m getting estimated bills and 4-5 meter readers have been out since , each saying the meter hasn’t been installed correctly and saying they would report it.

I think I need to go down official complaint procedure as it’s stressing me out and they don’t seem to listen when I’ve phoned them.

Thanks for reading this. It’s helped.

I have a similar problem to yours but in the opposite direction. I am on a split day/night tariff and have always been with various suppliers. I have an IHD which does not work and now have a meter which only seems to show one reading which is so many Kilowatt hours.
I cannot get individual day/night readings to prove that I am being charged correctly and I am starting to suspect that BULB or the meter installed by them cannot cope with such a situation.
Anyone know whether the BULB smart meters can cope with split tariffs?

The SMETS2 meters installed by Bulb can cope with multi-rate tariffs but Bulb are not set up to support this yet. So you can’t get the Bulb Smart Tariff or Bulb’s Economy 7 tariff at the moment with the meters they’re currently installing. Unless anyone knows any different.

The SMETS2 meters installed by Bulb can cope with multi-rate tariffs but Bulb are not set up to support this yet. So you can’t get the Bulb Smart Tariff or Bulb’s Economy 7 tariff at the moment with the meters they’re currently installing. Unless anyone knows any different.

I am sure I read that Bulb had now found a way to support SMETS2 on the smart tariff.

I did just ask Bulb via the online chat and got this reply

"also did i read that bulb have found a way to make the smart tariff work with SMETS2 now?

Edward
Yes follow this link to apply https://bulb.co.uk/smart/"

I am sure I read that Bulb had now found a way to support SMETS2 on the smart tariff.

I did just ask Bulb via the online chat and got this reply

"also did i read that bulb have found a way to make the smart tariff work with SMETS2 now?

Edward
Yes follow this link to apply https://bulb.co.uk/smart/"

That’s not an answer to your question. That’s a link to apply and see if you have a compatible meter. Bulb should be able to say categorically whether customers with new smart meters installed by Bulb are able to switch to their multi-rate tariffs or not.

The first sentence on that link contains a further link to ‘compatible smart meters’ which says

The second generation (SMETS2) meters we're installing aren't compatible yet

We’re currently installing the second generation of smart meters (SMETS2) in members’ homes. If you’d like to know when we’re installing in your area, please do sign up to the waiting list.

Right now, we can read the meters to prepare your monthly statement, but we can’t apply those readings to the smart tariff yet.

So you won’t be able to join the smart tariff test at the moment.

This should change in a few months. We know that’s a bit weird, and a bit frustrating. But we’re working on fixing it.

I am on the Vari-Fair tariff with Bulb and have always been charged at different rates for day/night use of electricity, the readings clearly shown by my old analogue electricity meter.
Bulb have now installed an E470 type 5424 smart meter and therefore I presume that this can handle split day/night readings at the same rates as before.
If this is not the case then they will not be able to supply to me under my existing terms and will therefore be in breach of their contract with me.
The main problem is just getting someone at Bulb to understand what I am trying to explain to them and get a straight answer.
The energy ombudsman looks like the next port of call.

I am on the Vari-Fair tariff with Bulb and have always been charged at different rates for day/night use of electricity, the readings clearly shown by my old analogue electricity meter. Bulb have now installed an E470 type 5424 smart meter and therefore I presume that this can handle split day/night readings at the same rates as before. If this is not the case then they will not be able to supply to me under my existing terms and will therefore be in breach of their contract with me.

@rapidegg What does the tariff say in your online account?

https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/tariff

I am on the Vari-Fair tariff with Bulb and have always been charged at different rates for day/night use of electricity, the readings clearly shown by my old analogue electricity meter. Bulb have now installed an E470 type 5424 smart meter and therefore I presume that this can handle split day/night readings at the same rates as before. If this is not the case then they will not be able to supply to me under my existing terms and will therefore be in breach of their contract with me.

@rapidegg What does the tariff say in your online account?

https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/tariff

My online account still shows that I am on Vari-Fair, but my smart electricity meter which was only installed about 10 days ago is only displaying one reading of the total kilowatt hours consumed -ie no split.

Both the standard variable tariff and Economy 7 are termed Vari-Fair. I don’t know about what the meter should specifically say but if you’re on Economy 7, when you click the Tariff link above I think you should see both day and night rates for your electricity. If you see one rate and that is the standard variable rate for your meter, then I think you’re on that.

Both the standard variable tariff and Economy 7 are termed Vari-Fair. I don't know about what the meter should specifically say but if you're on Economy 7, when you click the Tariff link above I think you should see both day and night rates for your electricity. If you see one rate and that is the standard variable rate for your meter, then I think you're on that.

Sorry for not being clear. I am on the Vari-Fair SPLIT tariff. My online readings show separate day and night readings, and always have done. I have always read my old meter myself and entered the readings into my online account, and on the occasions that estimated readings were shown, then these were also split so I have definitely always been on split tariff.
I cannot now read anything on my meter other than total kilowatt hours and as Bulb seem to be not receiving information from the meter I do not see how they will be able to bill me correctly.
Hope this makes sense?

If you haven’t already, try the link below and if none of that helps, then I think you need to speak to Bulb again for a definitive answer:

Hi @ReetaB,

I can see your situation is being handled now, and that you’re in contact with NicholasR at bulb who can update your meter details once we have a photo from you.

In response to the discussion regarding SMETS2 meters on the Smart Tariff, this will be something we can handle soon, but at the minute with the roll out of the DCC network that they run on we’re just working on making sure every member who receives a second gen smart meter can use all it’s other functions first.

I imagine towards the end of the year we’ll have the smart tariff available for you.

The E7 and single-rate tariff are both termed ‘vari-fare’ this is correct as @norman7115 mentions. It looks like you have now been put on a single rate meter @rapidegg , this will have been made clear to you when you booked the job in that we’d be installing a single rate smart meter provided you don’t have storage heaters or 5 tails coming out the bottom of the original meter.

Best

Oisin

@“Oisin at Bulb”

When you say ‘single rate smart meter’, it sounds like there are different kinds of smart meter being installed.

Presumably you’re just talking about how the meter is configured? There are confirmed posts on here of customers with new smart meters installed by Bulb, operating on the Economy 7 tariff, so if @rapidegg has been switched to the standard tariff in error, can their meter not be remotely configured to Economy 7?

Hi @ReetaB,

I can see your situation is being handled now, and that you’re in contact with NicholasR at bulb who can update your meter details once we have a photo from you.

In response to the discussion regarding SMETS2 meters on the Smart Tariff, this will be something we can handle soon, but at the minute with the roll out of the DCC network that they run on we’re just working on making sure every member who receives a second gen smart meter can use all it’s other functions first.

I imagine towards the end of the year we’ll have the smart tariff available for you.

The E7 and single-rate tariff are both termed ‘vari-fare’ this is correct as @norman7115 mentions. It looks like you have now been put on a single rate meter @rapidegg , this will have been made clear to you when you booked the job in that we’d be installing a single rate smart meter provided you don’t have storage heaters or 5 tails coming out the bottom of the original meter.

Best

Oisin

Hi @ReetaB,

Best

Oisin

Oisin. You are incorrect in your assumption. When I booked the job it was NEVER made clear to me that you would be installing a single rate meter! Furthermore you presumably record all calls to customer service and will therefore have a recording of both myself and the Siemens engineer speaking to you and the engineer being advised BY YOU to fit a dual tariff meter. As I have been switched to a single rate tariff without my agreement and in breach of my contract with you, I presume that you have a mechanism in place for compensation?

@"Oisin at Bulb"

When you say ‘single rate smart meter’, it sounds like there are different kinds of smart meter being installed.

Presumably you’re just talking about how the meter is configured? There are confirmed posts on here of customers with new smart meters installed by Bulb, operating on the Economy 7 tariff, so if @rapidegg has been switched to the standard tariff in error, can their meter not be remotely configured to Economy 7?

@"norman7115 @“Oisin at Bulb” The Siemens engineer was definitely advised by BULB to fit a dual tariff meter and therefore I assume that he has done so.
The fact that the meter is not and has never connected to the network makes remote configuration a tad difficult and my simplistic brain tells me that someones needs to pay me a visit to do any configuration and sort this mess out.
Now that the energy companies have been given an extra 4 years to roll out smart meters, I am not holding my breath, just a little disgusted.

@rapidegg My point was that I don’t think there are two different types of meter being installed. I have a new smart meter installed by Bulb and I’m on the single-rate tariff, as I always have been. If I want to switch to a multi-rate tariff (when Bulb are set up to do so), I’m not expecting to have to change meter and I’m not expecting to have to arrange an engineer visit either.

As far as I know, remote configuration should be possible via your wi-fi connection. @“Oisin at Bulb” can you please confirm what the situation is here?