I want actual reading instead of estimate

@rapidegg My point was that I don't think there are two different types of meter being installed. I have a new smart meter installed by Bulb and I'm on the single-rate tariff, as I always have been. If I want to switch to a multi-rate tariff (when Bulb are set up to do so), I'm not expecting to have to change meter and I'm not expecting to have to arrange an engineer visit either.

As far as I know, remote configuration should be possible via your wi-fi connection. @“Oisin at Bulb” can you please confirm what the situation is here?

@norman7115 I believe that you are correct about there only being one meter. I should have said that the conversation between the Siemens engineer and Bulb, (which was on loudspeaker), involved the Bulb employee asking whether the meter was “dual tariff”, to which he replied YES, and was then advised to proceed. I was also advised by the engineer that Bulb should be able to do something configuration via wi-fi but nobody during my numerous calls has suggested this so maybe this is not true.

@norman7115 @“Oisin at Bulb” The other strange part about my situation is that my GAS meter seems to be submitting accurate readings to Bulb and these show in my online account, whilst my Electric meter seems to be submitting nothing and nothing shows in my online account.
I was under the impression that the gas meter communicated VIA the electric meter?

Hi @rapidegg ,

I’ve just checked your meter with our smart team and it is configured to a 2 rate. My apologies.

Hold B wait for backlight to go off. Hold B for 2 seconds. then press A to scroll you will see a rate 1 and a rate 2.

@norman7115 , remote reconfiguration is possible via wifi, but is not something we’re able to do yet. We will be looking to do this and enable this in early 2020.

Best

Oisin

As far as I know, remote configuration should be possible via your wi-fi connection. @"Oisin at Bulb" can you please confirm what the situation is here?

Can we just set this one straight and put it to bed once and for all. The smart meters DO NOT USE WIFI. Any configuration of the meter is done over the same independent network used to send the readings. All communication is done using either the cellular network, or dedicated long range radio. Smart meters do not need WiFi and do not use WiFi. The consumer is not expected to provide the data network for any of this to work. It is completely independent.

@“Oisin at Bulb” it really doesn’t help when suppliers repeat things like “remote reconfiguration is possible via wifi”.

What CAN optionally use WiFi is the IHD, but that’s used only for uploading higher cadence readings for usage visualisation and communication with other smart devices on the local WiFi network. Bulb, as far as I’m aware, make no use of such features just yet.

I was under the impression that the gas meter communicated VIA the electric meter?

Both the gas meter and the electric meter communicate via the communication hub.

The communication hub is physically attached to the electricity meter.

Both meters require authentication with the communication hub. This is still true for the electricity meter despite it being physically attached. I think what happens when the gas meter works but the electric meter doesn’t is simply that the electric meter isn’t being allowed on the HAN (home area network) by the communications hub.

The fact that readings are arriving from your gas meter indicates that the comms hub is in contact with the mothership. This is good, because it means everything from this point is software related and no one will need to visit to do anything with the hardware. Bulb will should be able to make your electric meter work at some point once all the software is fixed.

@Hooloovoo Thanks for clarifying re WiFi. I’ve confused myself with the capabilities of the IHD and got lost subsequent to reading other posts on the subject.

@Hooloovoo Thanks for clarifying re WiFi. I've confused myself with the capabilities of the IHD and got lost subsequent to reading other posts on the subject.

Thanks. I should also clarify that whilst I quoted your post, I was actually directing it more at Bulb staff who should know better! It’s fine if us customers get it wrong, we ought not to know more about how this stuff works than people actually employed in the energy industry. Apologies if you thought, understandably, that I was directing my rant at you.

@Hooloovoo Thanks for clarifying re WiFi. I've confused myself with the capabilities of the IHD and got lost subsequent to reading other posts on the subject.

Apologies if you thought, understandably, that I was directing my rant at you.

No problem. My post was in part a question anyway, so glad to have a reliable answer.

Hi @rapidegg ,

I’ve just checked your meter with our smart team and it is configured to a 2 rate. My apologies.

Hold B wait for backlight to go off. Hold B for 2 seconds. then press A to scroll you will see a rate 1 and a rate 2.

@norman7115 , remote reconfiguration is possible via wifi, but is not something we’re able to do yet. We will be looking to do this and enable this in early 2020.

Best

Oisin

Oisin.
Pressing buttons as described by you above DOES NOT WORK. I am fed up with pressing buttons!

Hi @rapidegg ,

Best

Oisin

Oisin.
Pressing buttons as described by you above DOES NOT WORK. I am fed up with pressing buttons!

Next suggestion?

UPDATE ….
I can report that the same Siemens engineer attended today and changed my electricity meter.
After some “tinkering” he managed to get an electricity usage to show on my IHD.
He was not able to get a gas reading as the IHD showed “gas supply disconnected” and IT STILL DOES.
A short while after the engineer left the IHD now has a GAS ONLY display, with no usage information and the same “gas supply disconnected” message.
There is no kind of display at all relating to electricity!
I need some reassurance of the following:-

1. My gas supply is not disconnected.
  2. BULB are receiving gas readings from me (as they were before this second visit).
  3. They are now receiving electricity readings from me.
  4. My IHD will eventually start to show me some actual information.
    And most importantly …
  5. BULB will eventually be able to switch me back to a split day/night tariff.
    I appreciate that I am not the only customer having difficulties but I am not prepared to put up with any more estimated gas and electric readings or to put up with being on a single tariff for much longer.

I have reported the situation by telephone to BULB and formally requested that my complaint is not yet closed and have been promised that someone will contact me on Friday to check on the situation.
To be continued ……