If the average rise in price is £8.50 a month, why does Bulb want to increase my monthly payments by

If the average rise in price is £8.50 a month, why does Bulb want to increase my monthly payments by £32 a month when I am already £143 in credit?

Same here!! £48 a month increase when I am in credit too! I have changed my payment back to what it was set at before BULB changed it. If my bill is higher with winter use, I will increase the payment myself!

Wandsworth, I asked for a lump sum to be paid back into my account and they did that for me. I am only £12 or so in credit which is fine.

Hope that helps you too

Thanks Romie. I have sent an email to the help line but if their response is unsatisfactory, will do the same as you and change monthly payment back. We are paying in advance after all. Maybe time to change utility supplier if they get greedy, hm?

@wandsworth1 @Romie

Please check out this useful post by Eleanor at bulb: http://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/comment/22738/#Comment_22738

Within this post is mentioned in essence the fact you don’t have to increase your DD if you have sufficient credit to meet one months advance payment.

Whilst you may not wish for your account to be in credit it is totally fair that it shouldn’t be in debit when you take into account Bulb’s unit costs for energy increased yesterday plus the possibility of greater energy use in the forthcoming winter months.

@wandsworth1 @Romie If your balance is currently a debt, if we predict your payments are not enough to cover your monthly payments or we increase our prices (like we have done as of the 11th) then we need to increase your payments as you will be continuing to be building a debt.

As @Allanr says you can log in to your online account and change the monthly amount, but we will be in touch in the future if we think that debt on your account will continue to be an issue.

Thanks DanP BUT I am in credit to the tune of £143. How can you explain increasing my direct debit by more than 50%? Is Bulb telling porkies that the rise in price averages out at £8.50 per month?

I am £118 in credit after a year with Bulb, but they want to increase my payments by a whopping 44.5%! I understand the need for an increase in prices to meet wholesale cost hikes - seeing that Maggie and Tony made us dependent on gas for everything and the current lot are beating the war drums vis-à-vis major Euro gas supplier Russia etc… But this is ridiculous: 11.1% announced price rise vs 44.5% payment increase? What else is at play here? We’ll have to bail if this really goes ahead.

I am £118 in credit after a year with Bulb, but they want to increase my payments by a whopping 44.5%! I understand the need for an increase in prices to meet wholesale cost hikes - seeing that Maggie and Tony made us dependent on gas for everything and the current lot are beating the war drums vis-à-vis major Euro gas supplier Russia etc... But this is ridiculous: 11.1% announced price rise vs 44.5% payment increase? What else is at play here? We'll have to bail if this really goes ahead.

My advice is purely as another customer.

Since you are in credit your can leave your DD as it was. If at any stage you find you do not have sufficient credit to pay one month in advance for your energy, then you need to up your DD to the amount showing against “Average monthly usage” on your “Payments and statements” page or do a one off top up…

Allanr, does that mean I can refuse the increase for now? Bulb said they will automatically take the increased payment next month; it was not a suggestion. Also, it was odd to read Eleanor at Bulb’s post saying “we also try and avoid ‘bill shock’ for our members” when they’re incresing my payments 44.5%!

Same boat here. Been with Bulb for 2 months and am up 50%. I presumed my DD would reflect annual usage given that was the basis for the comparison and switch thereafter, now an “automatic” increase of £30 when I’m over £100 in credit. I am not impressed with this one bit.

Just checked and the app has changed my payment to £91 with no obvious means of changing it. If I can’t, I’m off.

Allanr, does that mean I can refuse the increase for now? Bulb said they will automatically take the increased payment next month; it was not a suggestion. Also, it was odd to read Eleanor at Bulb's post saying "we also try and avoid ‘bill shock’ for our members" when they're incresing my payments 44.5%!

Just to be clear I’m a Bulb customer and offered my advice in that capacity.

I’m not saying you can refuse the increase for Bulb, that is the prerogative of Bulb…

What I was implying is that that if you have sufficument credit in your account to cover the one month advance payment requirement then this will meet one of the criteria for being a Bulb customer.

Thus if your existing credit is more than sufficient to cover the one months advance payment criteria then it seems reasonable that you can retain your DD existing payment amount.

But you also need to take into account the recent unit price increase plus the possibility that during the winter months you are going to use more energy which could mean your credit will soon be eaten into necessitating an increase in your DD. It is only fair to Bulb that your account should not be in debit as they require one month advance payment and obviously they need the money up front as they buy their energy a number of months in advance.

In a utopian world the DD would be set at the “Average monthly usage” shown in your account dashboard.

I’m lucky in that I have a spreadsheet which does all my calculations regarding my DD payment and energy usage over the next 12 months.

Similar as above I received an email in September stating an increase by £18 starting November, then just today received another email stating due to recent meter readings your price will increase by a further +£60… meter readings have been on time for 3 months. Nice timing bulb your filling me with confidence as a new customer, I’m glad I didn’t refer my friends and family now. So in two months my bills are expecting to almost double from £96 to £178. Is there a phone number I can contact you guys on as this isn’t a great experience for me so far.
K

Similar as above I received an email in September stating an increase by £18 starting November, then just today received another email stating due to recent meter readings your price will increase by a further +£60... meter readings have been on time for 3 months. Nice timing bulb your filling me with confidence as a new customer, I’m glad I didn’t refer my friends and family now. So in two months my bills are expecting to almost double from £96 to £178. Is there a phone number I can contact you guys on as this isn’t a great experience for me so far. K

If you click the Help button at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find the contact details.

As I mentioned in my previous post on 14 November above I don’t have any problems regarding my DD payment as I have a spreadsheet and know exactly what I should be paying so that at no time do I get into a debit situation. I try to set my DD to a constant amount each month so that in 12 months time I an not in credit or debit.

Purely as another customer I would advise the following action which you can totally ignore.

1. Is your account in credit to pay at least one month advance payment requirement. If so at this time you can leave your DD the same.

2. If you don’t have enough credit then you need to increase your payment to the amount showing as “Average monthly usage” in your “Payments & statements” accounts dashboard. This is an average amount so you may need to increase your DD slightly over this amount to get you through the possible greater use of energy in the winter months and not to let your account get into a debit situation.

I’ve just checked my emails. I am in credit by £243 after a meter reading last month. I have just been told my direct debit is practically doubling and will be £171 from December 12th so I am in credit by £346 at the start of next winter. I can’t afford it. We have the heating on as little as possible as it is.

I’ve just checked my emails. I am in credit by £243 after a meter reading last month. I have just been told my direct debit is practically doubling and will be £171 from December 12th so I am in credit by £346 at the start of next winter. I can’t afford it. We have the heating on as little as possible as it is.

I would follow my suggestion which I posted just prior to your posting.

Similar as above I received an email in September stating an increase by £18 starting November, then just today received another email stating due to recent meter readings your price will increase by a further +£60... meter readings have been on time for 3 months. Nice timing bulb your filling me with confidence as a new customer, I’m glad I didn’t refer my friends and family now. So in two months my bills are expecting to almost double from £96 to £178. Is there a phone number I can contact you guys on as this isn’t a great experience for me so far. K

If you click the Help button at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find the contact details.

As I mentioned in my previous post on 14 November above I don’t have any problems regarding my DD payment as I have a spreadsheet and know exactly what I should be paying so that at no time do I get into a debit situation. I try to set my DD to a constant amount each month so that in 12 months time I an not in credit or debit.

Purely as another customer I would advise the following action which you can totally ignore.

1. Is your account in credit to pay at least one month advance payment requirement. If so at this time you can leave your DD the same.

2. If you don’t have enough credit then you need to increase your payment to the amount showing as “Average monthly usage” in your “Payments & statements” accounts dashboard. This is an average amount so you may need to increase your DD slightly over this amount to get you through the possible greater use of energy in the winter months and not to let your account get into a debit situation.

Thanks I’ll have a look but I’m stunned my payments have doubled in three months this is a complete joke if you ask me. Not everyone is savvy enough to understand how this all works.

It’s just jumped average monthly usage from £96 per month to £173 per month…

@Kevboy67

This is the way it works: http://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/comment/22738/#Comment_22738

or you can follow my earlier suggestion which meets some of the requirements in the article.

Not at all impressed that my payment have increased when I am in a considerable credit situation. I check my account monthly and pay what is necessary to cover my debts. Why should I pay now for what I MIGHT owe in 3 or 4 months time. Not a customer friendly action.