IHD only shows gas

We had smart meters installed last week. The display shows usage for gas, but nothing for electricity. Pressing the toggle button that should move between electricity/gas/both does nothing. Also the ‘traffic lights’ at the bottom don’t work. All the lights work at start up. I’ve tried restarting the device etc. Any ideas?

1 Like
We had smart meters installed last week. The display shows usage for gas, but nothing for electricity. Pressing the toggle button that should move between electricity/gas/both does nothing. Also the ‘traffic lights’ at the bottom don’t work. All the lights work at start up. I’ve tried restarting the device etc. Any ideas?

This is a situation that should be technically impossible, and yet there have been reports of this before. The communications path is all via the electricity meter, or specifically the communications hub attached to the electricity meter. The hub provides a local network (not WiFi) that both the gas meter and the IHD connect to. The hub also handles the uplink to the supplier. Since your gas meter reading has to go via the hub to the IHD, and this is working, how could it possibly not also send the readings from the electricity meter that the hub is physically attached to? Bizarre.

You’ll have to report this fault to Bulb directly via private communication, as opposed to via the public community forum. The Bulb contact details are available via the Help pages linked above and printed on your PDF statements.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Thanks

Hey,
I have exactly the same problem in reverse, so only the electricity reading displays.

A little information

• SMETS2 meter (EDMI Standard 420 Hub, ES-10A Electricity Meter and SMETS2 Gas meter, all installed by Siemens on behalf of Bulb)
  • Gas readout has never shown on the IHD
  • Apparently the Gas meter is reporting on the WAN
  • Gas meter reports it is connected to the HAN
  • The IHD boots up without the Gas display (despite not yet connecting to the HAN) - so almost as if the IHD has been misconfigured?

I’m just wondering how common this issue is, it seems like it could be a configuration issue whilst being installed that the installer teams need to be aware of

I had these problems too. Had to reset the IHD then find the hidden menus on the meters to rejoin the HAN. Tip: press and hold one of the two buttons (both have different functions) on the meters and you’ll pop up the menus to do this.

1 Like

I have the exact same problem, displaying gas, but no electricity. I have tried resetting the IHD and have been emailing Bulb Help since the installation, but still nothing. Does anybody know how to reset the meter to try to get it to see the IHD?

Does anybody know how to reset the meter to try to get it to see the IHD?

Which meters do you have?

E470 electricity meter.
Press A once - all segments light
Press A again - goes to Credit Mode Bal
Press and hold B - goes to manage pin
Press A 4 times (No option) until it asks HAN?
Press B (yes) and it asks Rejoin Han?
Press B (yes)
Should say OK then press A until you toggle through to Exit? Then press B (yes)

G470 Gas Meter
Press A to wake up
Press A until it says credit bal
Press and hold B. It’ll say hold for options then keep holding until it asks Enable pin
Use A for no until you reach Rejoin Han (2 presses) and press B for yes
It should say communication established then hit A to return to main screen.

@tkerby What did you do to reset the IHD? I’ve tried both clearing the settings and holding power down for 30 seconds

I did also try rejoining the HAN from the Gas meter and it reported successful, I’ll try with the IHD off whilst reconnecting to see if that makes a difference

I went for the clear settings option. You can push an update to the HAN from the gas meter by pressing A once to wake up then a quick push of B.

Out of interest, did the engineer leave before everything was fully working. Mine did which surprised me a little and it seems others have also had the same. The gas meter was still commissioning and the IHD had only received electricity data

I went for the clear settings option. You can push an update to the HAN from the gas meter by pressing A once to wake up then a quick push of B.

Out of interest, did the engineer leave before everything was fully working. Mine did which surprised me a little and it seems others have also had the same. The gas meter was still commissioning and the IHD had only received electricity data

Yes, the engineer left me when the IHD was still setting up, saying that it had already taken a very long time to set up the meters, so he couldn’t stay longer.

Yes that’s exactly what happened to me. The really odd thing is that its now switched round sometime in the last few days, now i only have the gas display, I’ve confirmed both meters are connected to the HAN, I’m at a loss now.

OK to add to the curious case of the broken in home display, my hub happened to reboot last night as i was walking past, the HAN and WAN lights where off completely, then one solid then back to normal (blinking)

The IHD which had been reporting no signal during the reboot came back to life with both electricity and gas displays! Unfortunately on checking this morning its back to just the gas :dissapointed:

So with this we know the HAN is working from hub to meters and from hub to IHD occasionally, I’d guess this is probably a firmware/software error somewhere, unfortunately all these meters are proprietary with zero docs so I think Its up to bulb and EDMI to solve.

If anyone else has similar issues after reporting it to Bulb it might help to leave a comment here to get an idea on the scale of the problem and if anyone affected has found a fix (or had Bulb has found a fix for them).

@tkerby @PastorPaul @Toppernator have you all had your issue resolved or does this continue to be an issue?

Same here reported to bulb apparently they are aware working on a fix

Working for me although they’ve lost gas pricing in the IHD a few times

My smart meters were installed this afternoon. The gas meter wasn’t linking properly to the hub so after a while the engineer called his office to request they do something manually, but they said that it had in fact linked ok. He then switched on the IHD, gave a quick summary of how to use it and then left. The display hasn’t changed in 3 hours - still ‘waiting for current data’ - no readings at all on the screen.

I tried a quick off/on but no change. Do I just leave it and see what happens, report to Bulb or try some resetting as @tkerby described above?

I have the same problem and mine was fitted 4 weeks ago I contacted bulb and it’s a common fault they said they are looking into it so much for technology and watching energy consumption

Add me to the list of people with gas but no electricity usage on the IHD (both meters say they’re connected to the HAN)

And also for Siemens been less than stellar too…

Why are bulb still letting these be fitted if there’s a problem got told yesterday it’s being sorted looks like it’s been going on weeks