In credit but money taken

Hi there,

I have received my September statement (01/09/2019) that shows my account £119.78 in credit.

£78.05 has been taken today which I didn’t expect as the account is in credit by this amount + a further £41.73

Please can this be explained, I had the understanding that my direct debits would alter when I gave meter readings.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jamie-Lee Coldham

Hi there,

I have received my September statement (01/09/2019) that shows my account £119.78 in credit.

£78.05 has been taken today which I didn’t expect as the account is in credit by this amount + a further £41.73

Please can this be explained, I had the understanding that my direct debits would alter when I gave meter readings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Can I please suggest you delete your telephone number and possibly your name as you have posted to a customer forum with many members?

Ideally your monthly direct debit is worked out by dividing your estimated cost of energy for the next year (i.e. 12 months) divided by 12 and wouldn’t nominally change each month even though you have submitted meter readings. In theory you are building up a credit to cover the possible increased cost of energy use during the forthcoming winter months.

You however have a fair degree of control on your direct debit payments as long as you leave enough credit to pay one month in advance.

Please see: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115003405632-How-do-Bulb-payments-and-statements-work- for an explanation how it all fits together.

Where did you get that understanding from?

The whole point of the monthly direct debit system, with any supplier, is that the payment remains the same each month and you build up credit over the summer to help pay towards your larger winter bills.