Incorrect Meter Readings

I’ve entered the wrong readings. I have entered the correct readings twice and they have been ignored. I just thought I would point this out in case Bulb send us a stupidly high statement that we’ll refuse to pay.

Hi @JayJay, I don’t quite understand what you’re saying here. What do you mean when you say that your readings have been ignored?

Intentionally entering the wrong readings seems like a bad idea if that’s what you’ve done for some reason.

Bulb will provide a statement based on the readings you’ve submitted, so if you’ve entered readings incorrectly, you will get a statement that does not accurately represent your actual electricity usage.
Your bills will however continue to be taken as a set monthly amount. This won’t change without you changing it manually or following a notification from Bulb that your monthly payments are not sufficient to cover your usage.

If you’re simply having an issue with the system not accepting your readings, the best course of action would be to give Bulb a ring (0300 30 30 635 Mon-Fri 09:00-18:00) and they’ll be able to sort this out for you.

No, I accidentally entered the value for Gas into Electricity. Since then, the website keeps telling me, every time I enter the new correct value, that I must be mistaken and that Bulb will review the new value in two days. Bulb doesn’t do this: they haven’t done this the last two times I gave them the correct reading. They just ignore the new readings. Bulb not only prevent you from removing previous incorrect values, but also distrust your new readings, because obviously they have a crystal ball and know more about a customer’s meter readings than the customer himself. And of course they expect you to wait on hold on the phone when you phone them to sort it out.

So yes, I’m not going to bother entering any more readings and I’m not going to pay any bills until THEY ring ME to ask for the correct meter readings.

I just got in contact with Bulb via Live Chat. Apparently their policy regarding customers who accidentally enter the wrong readings and then immediately enter the new readings is to completely ignore the new correct readings and send the wrong readings to the previous energy supplier. Bulb say they will update the website to change this.

Apparently their policy regarding customers who accidentally enter the wrong readings and then immediately enter the new readings is to completely ignore the new correct readings and send the wrong readings to the previous energy supplier. Bulb say they will update the website to change this.
I suspect that with an automated online system like this, pretty much every other supplier will do the same thing.

Good to hear they’re looking at the system to see what they can improve though.

@JayJay @mowcius If we receive a reading that is accidentally given wrong then this is the chain of events:

1. Incorrect reading submitted
  2. Reading gets sent to the industry
  3. Industry sees that the reading is not correct and rejects it, generates and estimate which will be in line with previous readings given for the meter.
  4. We receive this reading and open the account to this read.
  5. If this is incorrect or far from the reading that should have been used we can dispute and try and get it corrected

Readings are sent on the supply start date and whatever was the first reading submitted will be sent. If we catch this before the start date we can fix this and send the correct reading. One of the reasons we ask for readings a few days before the switch date!