Increase DD over amount I was originally advised

Hi there,
I got a letter in Sept advising my direct debit would increase by £11.12 in 60 days time and was advised to take this time to think about if I wanted to stay or not. I decided to stay. I received an email yesterday to advise Bulb would now be taking £40! Taking my bill from £48 to £89 on Nov 22nd. This is an 83% increase in my bill. I feel like I have punished for staying. I now feel foolish for telling people how good Bulb are. Surely this must be some mistake?

Speaking purely as another customer:

Like many people you’re confusing the monthly direct debit with “the bill”.

When considering costs, you need to look at your usage in kWh and the unit rate. Clearly, whilst a price increase is approaching on 11 November it is not 83%. Therefore something else must be different. Is your account in debt? If so, your monthly payment will have to be high for a while as you pay off previous underpayments. This may have happened if your bills have been estimated for some time due to no meter readings being received - you will have a potential big jump with the “catch up” bill. Have you been submitting meter readings monthly?

£48 per month is very low. So unless you are genuinely a very low user it’s likely you’ve been underpaying for some time hence the big increase. What is your typical annual usage for both fuels, assuming you are dual fuel? You can find this on your most recent PDF bill.

Hi there
Thank you for your reply.
I am in credit of £76 and have been away for the last month. £48 maybe small but it’s a small property and I live alone. So it’s a strange one and seems really unfair.

Hi there Thank you for your reply. I am in credit of £76 and have been away for the last month. £48 maybe small but it's a small property and I live alone. So it's a strange one and seems really unfair.

Purely as another customer, without knowing any of your details other than what you have already posted.

1. Make sure you send in regular monthly meter readings as prompted by Bulb a couple of days before the prepare your statement, this will ensure you bills are accurate.

2. To take into account the price increase in unit rate from 11 November I would suggest you increase you monthly DD payment to £59 based on the notification from Bulb in September. You are able to amend your DD payment by logging into your account.

3. Hopefully the credit you have plus the increased DD payment will be sufficient to meet the requirement of one months advance payment.

4 You can then see how this pans out once you receive your next statement around about 22 November.