Increase in direct debit

I have been with bulb for quite some years .
I have been in credit in the hundreds but this month it seems I am in £140 debit !
My DD was £160 I increased myself to £200 a few months ago .
I have been trying to get in touch without success as I received an email to say you now are changing my DD to £298 !!
I want to pay my bill as it arrives as in the summer you don’t bother refunding yet in winter you increase it .
How do I do this as when I call no one is available and even on help chat no one . It’s ridiculous.

Hey @Kath62

Thanks for your post on community, we are sorry for the issues around your payment.

Unfortunately your usage has increased and the tariff has increased since previous years however if you wish to look into an alternative payment method we can discuss that.

I will send an email to you so we can discuss the calculations directly.

–Carl :bulb:

Hi I have paid the debit on my account and I have cancelled my direct debit from now on I will pay as I can . I’m also looking into changing suppliers I disagree with you just changing payments Willy billy . The idea of paying monthly is to pay all year round the same amount . Yes we have used more but so has the price gone up … we are cutting down as much as we can !

Hi @Kath62

When you first join Bulb, we calculate your monthly payment by estimating your total energy usage for the next 12 months, working out the cost, and dividing by 12 so each payment is the same. Then every 3 months we’ll review your account and we might suggest changing your monthly payment amount depending on your usage or account balance.

Are you wanting to pay on receipt of the bill, so we’ll take the exact amount of your statement each month within 2 weeks of you receiving the bill?

– Meg :bulb:

I am going to monitor it and pay it myself I don’t need you to take it . At present I’m zero balance .

Hi @Kath62,

Okay, I have made some changes to your account so we are no longer expecting the set monthly payment.

You just need to make sure that after each statement you are topping up the account back to £0 within 14 days.

– KT :bulb:

Morning I see my next bill is in . The only option I have is to set up a direct debit which I’m not doing . Will it automatically go to debit from where I can pay it ?

@Kath62

If you do not want to set up a new DD you have the option of paying by Top up.
Go to Statements & Payments on your account page - at the top of the page it shows amount owed or credit balance and a box labeled ‘Top up’
If you open this box you can pay by bank card.
If you do not pay within 14 days of statement date you are liable to pay a charge.

Hi I have no hop up option . Only set up direct debit !

@Kath62

I really don’t understand your answer but I hope you get things sorted!

I cannot pay by top up as there is no box to top up . There was last week as I paid the £140.09 that was in debit before cancelling my DD . I will just wait until the box does appear .

Hi @Kath62

I just logged on to your account and from what I can see your current direct debit is currently pending activation, and you have a scheduled payment amount set up.

I just want to make sure your account is set up correctly for you, is this the payment method you were wanting or were you wanting to pay via manual top up? or pay via direct debit on receipt of the statement (this would mean your direct debit would be charged the actual amount of your statement each time)

Thanks
Eleanor

Hi no I want to pay the bill each month manually and I can now see the top up option so once the DD is active I will pay the amount and cancel the direct debit . I’m presuming I was trying to pay too soon after the bill was issued So next bill I will wait . I just don’t owe money and like to pay asap . Thanks

Hi I have paid this months debit I have cancelled the direct debit .
I will pay each bill each month .
I keep getting voice mails about my direct debit . I am paying as it comes not by direct debit . The only way I could top up was if I set direct debit up please amend my account to pay monthly !

Hi I have cancelled my DD as I mean to pay monthly and clear my debt. However I cannot get on online chat to let you know, as I have done this before I send monthly readings and pay 3 days later in full. This suits ME better and I will not be in debt to you .

Hi @eiday16 and welcome to the community :wave:

We don’t recommend cancelling your direct debit. We are now offering a pay on receipt of bill payment method.

If you’d prefer to pay on receipt of bill we can amend this for you.

This means your direct debit will still stand but when your statement is produced each month, you will be charged for the statement amount. For example, if your statement in March states you’ve used £150 of energy, this exact amount will be taken via direct debit. If the funds are not available, and we cannot take the payment within 14 days of your statement date, you will be charged a missed payment fee.

This is a less flexible option in regards to higher statements, as all statements need to be paid in full, and does require you to give us meter readings no more than 3 days before your statement to ensure an accurate bill.

Please let me know if you’d like to switch to this option.

– Robyn :bulb:

Yes as I already said last month and have done I will pay on receipt of the bill !

1 Like

Hi @Kath62 :wave:

I’ve now got that set up for you. I’ve reactivated your direct debit and we’ll take the exact amount of your statement each month. Your statements are generated on the 17th of each month, so we’ll take the payment within 2 weeks of this date.

– Meg :bulb:

Hi no I will control my payments I’m not allowing you control I will pay my self

1 Like

Hi Megan, I am following your answers as Im interested to see why did you reactivate Kaths direct debit if she said 3 times she want to pay in receipt of the bill?

How come you were able to do that if she cancelled the direct debit?

Does Kath has a history of being in debt or is there any other reason you are forcing her to have a direct debit to pay her bill?