Increased meter readings

I’ve just swapped to bulb and I’ve been checking my meter.its doubling the amount of electric I’m using everyday.compared to when I was with e-on.its a small one bed flat and I use about 2 kw a day.now I’ve swapped to bulb I’m using 4kw a day some times 5kw.ive got my bills from e-on to prove what usage I was using for 1 year.anyone else noticed this with there electric?

I don’t see how switching to Bulb will make a difference to your usage rate shown by your meter?

I agree :point_up:. Surely your just using more gas and electricity.

I’m only on electric I have no gas.im on economy 7.even my cheap night rate reading is using 1kw in a day time.its got to be a faulty meter.

I’m only on electric I have no gas.im on economy 7.even my cheap night rate reading is using 1kw in a day time.its got to be a faulty meter.

Did the meter go faulty when you switched to Bulb?

Out of interest when you mention 2kW I assume you mean 2kWh?

To have the meter checked is about £120 which will be refunded if the meter is shown to be faulty.

Sorry yes kWh.no the meter didn’t go faulty when I switched to bulb.but it’s due for a new meter because it’s over 25 years old which I got a letter from e-on saying that just before I switched to bulb.ive told bulb this but I’m on a long waiting list

My average usage is 9kwh/per day so I don’t think 2 a day is bad

Ok.thanks for your support :slight_smile:

Other people may share share their average use so you can get an idea

My average daily usage is 9kwh

My average for last month was 6.5 per day for elec, I am using gas for heating though.

Not sure what this proves scientifically, but my electric energy use was:

5 kWh/day this last month

9 kWh/day for the same period last year

Hopefully it shows to @Puresilver_1 that 2kw/per day doesn’t seem quite as high as first thought???

Not sure what this proves scientifically, but my electric energy use was:

5 kWh/day this last month

9 kWh/day for the same period last year

Do you have any idea what has caused the change?

My property has a background usage of about 250W, running the fridge, freezer, and one computer running as a 24/7 server. So even if I’m never in the property uses about 6kWh a day. This is pretty much constant throughout the year. In the summer the fridge/freezer work a little harder in hotter weather. In the winter the combi-boiler pump is running. Any seasonal effects mostly cancel out.

If my typical daily usage suddenly doubled, I’d be investigating what has caused it.

If the OP is used to using 2kWh a day (which is very low, background usage 83W), but has suddenly started using 5kWh a day (background usage 208W) then something has changed. Even though 5kWh per day isn’t particularly high, I still feel it’s worth considering what might have happened. Clearly this is unrelated to the switch to Bulb, but certainly something has changed somewhere. Perhaps an old 100W light bulb left on in a cupboard somewhere?