Increasing payments when in credit.

I’m £100 in credit and have been for months, but Bulb keeps asking me to increase payments. They chose to increase my payments from £30 to £45 and I’ve reduced them back to £30 and now they’re recommending an increase. What’s the point of credit and/ or asking customers to top up their credit if you’re encouraged to increase payments keeping that credit on your account?

The system is not perfect and can be annoying, unfortunately the system has to take account for those that are likely to get in to debt with all this years price increases, with over half million customers I suppose it has to be automated.
I just keep an eye on things and adjust as necessary.

I’m £100 in credit and have been for months, but Bulb keeps asking me to increase payments. They chose to increase my payments from £30 to £45 and I’ve reduced them back to £30 and now they’re recommending an increase. What’s the point of credit and/ or asking customers to top up their credit if you’re encouraged to increase payments keeping that credit on your account?

Obviously you are not a user of much energy if your bill is only £30 per month?

Out of interest are you monthly bills (not your DD payments) based on your monthly meter readings? Iif they are based on estimated readings it could account for Bulb asking you to increase your DD payment., plus the fact there was a unit price increase on 11 November and normally you would start using more energy during the forthcoming colder months.

My bill is based on meter readings. I’ll just ignore their request to increase payments and reverse any attempt to put up the direct debit by a significant amount until my credit is as low as my monthly payment.

Hi Alan, the system is automated and will be basing this on a projection of usage. It’s fine for you to manage it if that is what you prefer to do. Submitting readings will help to correct the projection over time. Let us know if you have any further questions.