Installation of NEST thermostst

Hello,
Is BULB offering a installation service of any smart thermostats, like most other energy companies are doing?

Why is BULB is not offering or selling smart thermostats to their customers?

If we buy our own smart thermostat, is BULB offering to install the smart thermostats for their customers, as this is another way of saving energy.

Thanks

volvo,

When we had the heat pump installed a year back the installers asked us about fitting the Heatmiser system. We had UFH in the kitchen and intend fitting UFH elsewhere downstairs as and when we get around to upgrading those parts of the house (we’ve since upgraded the Dining Room), upstairs is all radiators.

I couldn’t see that the additional expense of fitting smart thermostats would produce any real benefits as I couldn’t see that we would want such ‘fine’ control over particular rooms. I’m certainly not sold on the benefits of being able to control the heating system from half way around the world on my phone.

The traditional thermostats we have in the kitchen and Dining Room, coupled with the zoning valves on the UFH manifold, are quite capable of doing what is required. Elsewhere the traditional TRV’s on the radiators are also proving to be adequate.

I can see the appeal of the wireless part if you have a property where running cables would be problematic.

I am all for technology but I’m not yet convinced about Smart thermostats in many instances.

Regards

Richard

Is BULB offering a installation service of any smart thermostats, like most other energy companies are doing?
No, they are not.
Why is BULB is not offering or selling smart thermostats to their customers?
I suspect because they have a lot on their plate right now.
If we buy our own smart thermostat, is BULB offering to install the smart thermostats for their customers, as this is another way of saving energy.
They are not, no.
Smart thermostats being offered by energy companies is an interesting one. Scottish Power offer the Climote sytem (rebranded as the Scottish Power Connect) as a monthly cost for customers, and really this is another money grab. They charge £180 or £304.56 over two years for a system which personally I'd say is not worth more than £100 for the hardware and maybe £40 for installation. After the two years, I believe you have to pay again as the system is sold on a subscription model. Nobody offers things for free. Either the government gives them incentives to do something (money for the rollout or fines if they don't), or they charge an excess for the system to make more money themselves off customers. Also remember that energy companies make money by selling you energy. If you stop using as much energy, they don't make as much money...
If you'd like a Nest thermostat (or similar), you're best off buying it yourself (they can be around £150 on sale) and then getting a local tradesman to fit it if you're not happy doing it yourself. You don't need to be an electrician to legally fit a thermostat like this.
I do however agree with @linesrg above. I have a Nest and although it's nice for the remote access, it's not going to save you any money over a traditional thermostat. Even if the auto-away features turn the heating off when you're not there, there's a lot of difference in cost to make up with savings on energy.

Hi @volvo - That’s right, we aren’t offering NEST thermostats I’m afraid, but we are really interested in how our customers who us smart thermostats, are finding them. So it’s really great to keep discussions about smart tech flowing on these forums so we can hear your thoughts and keep learning!

Hi all & thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. :slight_smile:
Like with all gadgets, they are good for some people & not for others.

I know someone who has had the NEST V3 thermostat fitted a few months ago & he swears by the magic it can do.
According to him, his gas usage/bill has gone down & he has since never come home to a cold house or have to wait an hour for hot water.
Now there is no need for him to leave the heating/hot water ON all day. Using a mechanical timer had its benefits but if you got delayed for a few hours coming home, your house/hot water would be cold & would need heating again…especially in the last few week of freezing weather.

I have considered the PROS & CONS of the NEST thermostat & have decided that it would definitely be good for my situation.
I was hoping that BULB would be somewhat flexible with either offering/installing some sort of smart controls as is the case with most other energy companies… but sadly its not to be.

Best price I have been quoted for the NEST V3, supply & fit is £240.00.
I am sure its going to take a few years to claw back this cost through lower gas bills but the convenience of having full control at any time is best for me.

Volvo.

Hi @volvo, as an owner of a 3rd gen Nest of two years (actually pre-ordered it), I can assure you that over a more basic timer thermostat, unless your routine is exceptionally variable, it’d take a lot of years to get back the cost of the thermostat and installation.

If you’ve got the money and want the flexibility though, I’d say go for it, but for anyone who can’t really afford to spend over £200 for a nice gadget and want to just get it for the advertised savings, it’s not worth it.

Retail price of the Nest (£200) plus £40 installation doesn’t bad to me but be aware that unless this is a replacement of an existing thermostat (with mains supply and switching), the installation is technically part-p notifiable works, so if you’re just getting a local handyman to do it they may be breaking the law.