is an edf smart meter compatible if we switch to bulb?

is an edf smart meter compatible if we switch to bulb

In non-smart mode: Yes
In smart mode: Possibly

Hi @chris_carter54 ,

It’ll be safer to assume that all SMETS1 smart meters (i.e the 99%+ of those smart meters already installed) will become ‘dumb meters’ when you move to ANY other supplier than the installer. See http://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/6703/bulb-and-smart-meters for more information.

This means that you will have to take manual meter readings and the in-home display will probably stop working (or display inaccurate details).

However, you might be lucky and the specific model of meter EDF installed (yep, the same suppliers have used multiple makes and models) which Bulb can enroll onto their smart platform ‘straight away’ (they probably won’t be able to tell you this until after you’ve switched to Bulb as they don’t get the meter technical data until after the switch date). They may be able to support it later in 2019 - but this might require EDF to push out a firmware update to all their installed meters. Worst case scenario is that sometime in 2019/2020, Bulb will switch you to a multi-provider compatible SMETS2 smart meter.

Sorry I can’t give you a clear cut yes or no - but that’s the problem with the SMETS1 smart meters.

Bulb can enroll onto their smart platform 'straight away' (they probably won't be able to tell you this until after you've switched to Bulb as they don't get the meter technical data until after the switch date).

In addition, this would only be attempted if @chris_carter54 opted to use the smart time-of-use tariff. Otherwise, the meter would only attempt to be accessed as you say later in 2019 when the DCC enrolment phase is started.

Out of interest do you know if there’s any way of telling whether a meter is SMETS1 or SMETS2 from looking at it or the serial number? My mum had a Centrica smart meter installed around Oct/Nov and just moved to Bulb - so not sure if it will automatically become smart in due course.