Is Bulb still competitive?

With the lastest round of increases the price of gas and electricity has increased dramatically. My bill and my mothers has increased on average by 50%. Dovwe know whether Bulb is competitive anymore?

Hi @Runner,

For me it is - I do a quick check on the comparison sites (such as MSE’s https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub ) every few months ‘just in case’ and there’s only a few cheaper. Utility Point could, in theory, save me £26/year but that includes a £25 one-off cashback (I could save £23/£21 with them without the cashback) but there’s no feedback for them. Pure Planet £14/year (including the £25 cashback) - 39 reviews 5* and Igloo (£14/year with the one off £25 cashback) and then Avro saving £12/year .

So just 4 providers are cheaper for me than Bulb - and that’s by an absolute maximum of £26 per year… Bulb provides £50 referral credit each time you get someone to sign up so it’s not that hard to beat those ‘savings’ - plus Bulb’s customer service has been good to me, the community is (mostly) nice and friendly and I do like Bulb’s ethos/attitude.

If I filter to just ‘big name suppliers’, switching to British Gas would cost me an extra £39/year (even after £25 cashback) and that’ll be on a fixed contract, first-utility £86/year extra, Co-op £138/year extra, EDF £146/year extra, SSE £149/year extra, EON £154/year extra, Scottish Power £161/year extra…

With the lastest round of increases the price of gas and electricity has increased dramatically. My bill and my mothers has increased on average by 50%. Dovwe know whether Bulb is competitive anymore?

The various comparison sites will answer your question.

As a first cut, I’d start by simply looking at the unit rate (pence per kWh) and standing charge (pence per day) that Bulb are charging you, and compare that with what is available from other suppliers. Don’t rely on estimates of monthly direct debit value, since this can be very misleading. You need to compare the actual cost of energy against your own typical annual usage.

YES, still competitive for me based on my previous 12 months annual energy use.

Have your bills increased in part due to having used more energy, my recent bills are higher the last two months due to greater use of energy with the colder weather.