Is it really Zero Carbon Energy?

Had a look at the UK Electricity mix a few days ago. It was the evening so no Solar being generated. The wind turbines were almost at a standstill.
If we all switched to Green Electricity, where would it come from? Even if you built 10 times as many wind turbines (and you couldn’t because the cost would be astronomical) it wouldn’t come close to meeting demand. Batteries are expensive and very resource hungry to build.
We can lower the carbon output, but there comes a point where it’s just too expensive.
Better to spend the money on reducing use rather than generation changes? Not sure using a “green” supplier helps the situation.
Thoughts??..

Renewable generation is currently the cheapest infrastructure to commission, so I think you need to update your idea of what services are expensive and what are cheap.

Nevertheless, you’re right that the energy you use isn’t necessarily directly from a renewable source. It’s all about putting renewables “into the grid” and what comes out being a mix of everything. But renewable generation is growing, and rightly so.

Absolutely we should be concentrating on reducing demand, and not just making generation greener. I guess this is similar to the palm oil problem. Palm oil produces the highest yield of oil per area of land. By demonising palm oil it will make deforestation worse, because switching to a different oil source will increase the amount of land required via reduced yield. We absolutely should all continue using palm oil. What needs to happen is a global reduction in use of cooking oil.

Hi. What I meant was, the cost of putting 10x the present wind capacity would be massively costly.
You’d be paying Gas Generators huge sums, just to be available on calm days, then even bigger amounts to the Wind Farms to turn them off when it’s windy.
They only build them if we guarantee the tax payer will pay them a minimum price.
But I think we both agree on saving energy!

Hi. What I meant was, the cost of putting 10x the present wind capacity would be massively costly.

Absolutely, yes, but with various existing power stations coming to the end of their life then that expenditure is required in any case. At that point you go for the cheapest, which is now renewables. What you’re saying would be true if the expenditure wasn’t required in any case, but that would only be if all the existing generation was expected to run forever.

You'd be paying Gas Generators huge sums, just to be available on calm days, then even bigger amounts to the Wind Farms to turn them off when it's windy. They only build them if we guarantee the tax payer will pay them a minimum price.

I’m pretty sure all this is no longer true. For sure there are issues surrounding energy storage to flatten out the peaks and troughs, but all of that is being solved and the grid is being changed for the better. The old arguments against renewables is just a defeatist attitude. The answer isn’t to just keep burning all the coal and gas until the planet dies. The tipping point is close if it hasn’t already passed.

It is true I’m afraid. You can’t store electricity without massive cost / environmental issues. You need Gas stations to cope with the issues with wind power.
As for the National Grid coping…well 1 million went off line Friday.