Just 6 weeks with Bulb and a 91% increase to my DD payment already

Hi,

This has gone via email to but still no response but that is because Bulb do not work weekends which leads to all other sorts of questions but…New to Bulb, very new in fact…just 6 weeks in and what I thought, the path to saving a fair amount compared to SP.

I have been with you just over 6 weeks and after paying 2 x DD’s of £127.60 you have informed me that my DD will be increased to a whopping £242…nearly DOUBLE the amount…a massive 91% increase I tell you!

Utterly amazing for all the wrong reasons.

Please tell me that this is a mistake?

Simply put, I cannot in any way afford to pay Bulb £242 per month. I have been with you just over 6 weeks.

I changed my previous supplier because I was paying £177 per month and now Bulb are even more expensive then my previous supplier by a very significant amount.

I am totally stunned and please be aware that there is no way at all that I can pay the new increased of £242…never ever in fact.

I really need a quick resolution to this so i would appreciate your upmost urgency.

Many thanks

It’s most likely only a suggestion to increase your DD and not something that is going to be enforced. Simply log into your account and set the DD to whatever you like. There seems to be something up with Bulb’s monthly payment estimation at the moment.

Rest assured, regardless of what your DD may be, you are still paying less for your energy than with SP - check the unit rates and standing charge to convince yourself.

Hi,

This has gone via email to but still no response but that is because Bulb do not work weekends which leads to all other sorts of questions but…New to Bulb, very new in fact…just 6 weeks in and what I thought, the path to saving a fair amount compared to SP.

I have been with you just over 6 weeks and after paying 2 x DD’s of £127.60 you have informed me that my DD will be increased to a whopping £242…nearly DOUBLE the amount…a massive 91% increase I tell you!

Just a suggestion, if your account is in credit then leave your DD at £127.60. You are able to set your DD by going to your “Account & tariff info” page at: https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/personal-details and selecting “Edit payment details”.

If you find your credit isn’t sufficient to pay one month in advance for your energy use then you will need to increase your DD but not to the £242 amount, you can however opt to “Top up balance” via “Payments & statements” page at: https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/payments-and-statements

Been with bulb just over 2 months and have just been informed that my dd is to increase AUTOMATICALLY, not by my choice, to more than i was paying my previous supplier, citing that i will use more electricity during the winter months when neither my central heating or hot water are electrically powered. Not a happy bunny and am looking for another supplier forthwith as it seems to offset your seemingly low prices you want your customers to build up enormous credit in your bank account which i am sure pays you handsome dividends

Similar situation here - feel like it is a massive scam and time to leave sadly

Same here, been with them 2 months, account in credit and they are increasing my DD automatically, was already paying more a month than my last supplier so time for me to leave.

Read this it may help:

https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/7804/have-we-been-sold-a-pup#latest

Are the unit rates (pence per kWh) and the standing charges lower than what you were charged by your previous supplier? Then you are still saving money.

Don’t mistake “the monthly direct debit” for “the bill”. They are almost entirely unrelated for any given month.

There are so many comments like this that Bulb needs to do a better job of explaining their policy or there will be mass defections post winter (IMO).

Just had this and it’s disgusting - they are almost doubling it!

They claim they’re using figures from a “regulated third party”, but it actually just looks like Bulb took a single winter month, times it by 12, then added £360.

Unless we see an immediate correction from Bulb, then this is going to be judged as a scam.

Thanks for all the comments guys, it’s really appreciated.

I have done as some suggested and reduced the DD amount to which I have paid for the last 2 months…approx £128.

Just to add, I know what Bulb are trying to achieve here and yes, it is a third party estimate but the idea is plain nonsense in most our cases simply because we are all new to Bulb with very little meter readings to guide the estimate and also we are bang at the start of the colder months.

Take my case, how on earth can they possibly suggest and AUTOMATICALLY implement the incase of 91% based on just 7 weeks worth of meter readings out of a certain 52 weeks EXCLUDING the 2 months (additional 8/9 weeks) Bulb has set as their "winter buffer)!

7 weeks worth of meter readings out of a certain 52 weeks is just 3.6% of total meter readings for the year which equates to a 91% increase in my monthly DD payment.

An AUTOMATIC ESTIMATED increase (which can be reset but…still) based on 3.6% worth of “evidence” results to an extra £114 out my pocket.

The whole idea is farcical.

I am very worried despite resetting my DD payments to the original amount of approx £128.

I don’t really want to change supplier, especially during this season, and I am not happy after being here just 7 weeks

It looks like Bulb really need to keep a better eye on their automated emails.

The good news is that the DD amount seems under our control, via: https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/payments-and-statements/payment-settings

Presumably we’re supposed to control our own billing, and can reverse idiotic automated changes like from the email notification this week.

So I’ve removed the automated billing amount, but increased my DD payments a little from my original amount, even though I’m still in credit.

I think there is another side that does lead to issues. Not so many years back very few paid much attention to their Bills as they were by and large quite stable, now, with rapidly increasing energy costs and the ease with which one can now change suppliers we have become more aware and don’t hesitate, having done that we then pore over them to convince ourselves we have made the right move.

Several things on this - The email to me headlines ‘We need to increase’, not a request to. Again, this regulated third party statement has yet to be answered. An email to Blub hasn’t been responded to within their 5 days, and a reminder to answer is still awaited. Also, even though my meter readings are correct on their portal, we have had 2 estimated bills, both much bigger than the actual amount used. So, anyone know who to complain to?

Just had this and it's disgusting - they are almost doubling it!

They claim they’re using figures from a “regulated third party”, but it actually just looks like Bulb took a single winter month, times it by 12, then added £360.

Unless we see an immediate correction from Bulb, then this is going to be judged as a scam.

Just the same with me. I quoted the EXACT annual useage from my previous supplier when using a comparison site and Bulb quoted me a much lower figure. Now they want to almost double my monthly payment to build up two months reserve of my money, again claiming “Regulated third party”. Well, that can only be my previous supplier. If they will not answer emails on the subject as some have mentioned then something is wrong somewhere. I am now seriously thinking “Bye Bye BulB”.

What’s going on.? I’ve just had the same. I’ve been with Bulb for TWO months and my Direct Debit has increased MORE THAN 100%. Bulb took all my information from my previous supplier so they, yes BULB not me, could set my new Direct Debit. How come TWO months later it has to be increased MORE THAN 100%.???

@justrollo @Richard_1 Just looked at both your accounts and based on the annual consumption figures your original quotes should have been higher. I have sent you messages to show the consumption data and how we have calculated the new monthly payment amount.

The FACT remains that when I joined Bulb, they have direct actual usage for both my Electric and Gas based on factual historical usage going back years by their very own admission.

I provided Bulb with these facts and also Bulb state they have access to this therefore WHY is that BULB are requesting a very significant amount more, even adding an ADDITIONAL 2 months on top of all my factual historical usage.

Seriously…think about it. Such contradictory nonsense it is farcical.

BULB are suggesting and implementing additional charges on top of years of historical usage facts.

This is shocking and I know that this is causing a massive uproar and rightly so!

Bulb have all our historical usage provided by ourselves and a third party regulator but despite the facts Bulb are very keen to push on with a farcical “2 month winter buffer” regardless of the usage facts.

I have had the exact same problem. We switched at the end of September because we needed to save every penny on bills because I lost my job earlier in the year. All of a sudden the payments have gone up to more than what I was paying my previous supplier. I do feel somewhat luckier than most as my increase was only 21% but when you are surviving on benefits 21% is more than enough to ensure that there is not enough money to live on at the end of each month. I also switched using U-Switch and entered accurate figures and current payments and am furious that “a regulated 3rd party” sent them information. I don’t remember agreeing to this so this is a breech of data protection because all my information should have been destroyed once I left my previous supplier because there is no lawful reason for them to retain it. I have sent an email but I am not going to hold my breath for the response. The only way I will be able to take back control is to cancel the direct debit and set up a standing order.

Exactly the same thing just happened to us. First bill £79, second bill £130. What on Earth? No reply back from complaint. This is evidentially a scam. I believe you are all correct in saying the only real solution is to vote with your feet and leave. Anyone planning to do that?