knocking sound from gas meter

My gas meter is in a cupboard in the entrance hall in my house. When gas is being used a knocking noise can be heard coming from the meter, this is especially noticeable in the living room.

Is it normal for a gas meter to make a loud periodic knocking sound (around every 3.5 seconds) when in use and is there anything I can do to reduce the noise?

The meter having mechanical parts may require replacing as they could be worn. Having said that are you sure it is the gas pipe and not the water pipes for the central heating as an air lock could cause a knocking noise, try bleeding the radiators on the off chance.

radiators have all recently been replaced and bled. Definitely the meter, can hear it coming from it when I sit next to it and it knocks when I’m just using the cooker. Probably something does need replaced, the house is 40 years old and the meter looks ancient.

Do you know if the smart meter is a full replacement meter or is it simply an add on to the existing meter?

Do you know if the smart meter is a full replacement meter or is it simply an add on to the existing meter?
I dont have one but as far as I am aware it is a complete replacement for your old meter.
It's a completely new meter so would replace any parts that are making noise now.

Electronic gas meters do however often make a high pitched whine when gas is being drawn through them though but this tends to be only noticeable in quiet rooms, and if you’ve not yet lost that frequency in your hearing.
For those interested, here’s a teardown explaining how they work.

My gas meter is in a cupboard in the entrance hall in my house. When gas is being used a knocking noise can be heard coming from the meter, this is especially noticeable in the living room.

My gas meter is similarly located and makes that kind of noise. It’s not a problem, but fortunately can’t be heard unless the cupboard door is open.

Hi @jedmoore if your meter is making knocking sounds, we might need to book you in for a meter replacement - would you be able to give us a call on 0300 30 30 635 from Monday to Friday (9:00 am to 6:00 pm) so we can discuss that with you?

Cheers!

@xxx The same goes for you! We may need to replace your meter, so it would be good to hear a bit more about those knocking sounds…

I had rattling sound from an old style meter and was told by emergency gas people that this would require replacement by Bulb as it indicated something loose in the meter. Once i contacted Bulb there was no problem in getting an appointment for a replacement meter to be fitted within the week

I’ve just seen this post as I’ve googled tapping/knocking gas meter.
Mine has started doing this and driving me mad…
What do I do or who do I contact.
My gas and electricity is supplied by you, but I rent my house.

Contact Bulb info at bottom of the help page.
If you rent though should the issue be thrown back at the owner.

My meter is knocking too, looks pretty ancient. Will bulb automatically replace with a smart meter though, as I ma not keen on those?