KWH used per year on average

I am looking for some info because after getting this months bill regardless of price increases the usage seems way higher then what the national average would be so just checking what others use and if anything I can get done to see if my meter is correct

My kwh usage for this month was 404KWH over a 31 day period with a estimated annual usage of 6038… this month I havent used my dryer at all made a effort for it not to be used so come colder weather that month usage is going to be a lot higher

so is 404kwh seem normal for a 3 bed house ?

That does seem rather high, given these figures from British Gas for UK average consumption

Low (flat or 1-bedroom house / 1-2 people) Gas: 8,000 kWh Elec: 1,800 kWh
Medium (3-bedroom house / 2-3 people) Gas: 12,000 kWh Elec: 2,900 kWh
High (5-bedroom house / 4-5 people) Gas: 17,000 kWh Elec: 4,300 kWh
I’m alone in a 3 bed house with the usual domestic appliances, gas C/H and cooking. Electricity monthly consumption is a steady 180kWh.

There are so many variables that affect how much electricity a household uses. 6000kWh does seem high though.

How many people?
How do you heat your hot water?

its 6 ppl 2 adult 4 children house is empty for most of the day as I am the only one here …but all switches are off during the day nothing upstairs at all on standby same with downstairs only thing left on standby is computer and router as no one here nothing else left on during the day …as for water thats done by gas all lights are led

Do you have a smart meter?

If so, when everyone else is out of the house, have a look at how many kW are being used. This will give you your “background” usage. A high background usage can easily add up to a lot over a year as it’s constant; 24hrs a day, every day.

For reference, my house has a background usage of 0.095-0.120kW (95-120W) depending on if the fridge is actively cooling itself at that point in time.

As it goes i do but the home display meter has been broke for about a year and bulb wont replace or fix it I have tried numerous times now they have one fitted they aint bothered if i can actually use it

If it’s a SMETS2 smart meter and it’s still sending readings to Bulb then you can sign up for the Bright app at glowmarkt . com for free and basically get a IHD on your phone so you can view the same data. It’s quite useful too as you can see historical data really well. It will only give you 30min readings though unfortunately. That should still be useful to see if you have a high background usage overnight when you’re all asleep and nothing is on.

hi thankyou ,How do I tell what meter I have?

never mind seems it is

my over night usage for gas is 30 pence .does the IHD mine is on now so only shows cost per day nothing else works but does it include standing charge in that price? because 30p for 7 hrs seems high when nothing is on as we are all sleeping…

electricity usage shows 88P for 7 hours while the entire house is asleep also seems high for a fridge and a freezer being on a 1 light

If that 88p doesn’t include the standing charge @ 30p/kWh over 7 hours, that works out at roughly 430W continuous. This is a high background load but not unprecedented if your fridge and freezer and big inefficient ones and you include all the other minor things like a TV/set top box on standby, your wifi router etc.

Honestly I cant work it out since being up washing machine ran twice 30 min cycle eco and all normal stuff running I have used a extra 46p in 4 hrs which when divided is better value then what i used over night as more stuff running…but the gas has used an extra 20P so at a total 50P but the sink has only been filled once nothing else runs on gas

as for the 88p over night all that was on in the house was the router an alarm clock fridge and freezer and 1 light all other plugs are switched off in a effort to try keep costs manageable

Depending on the chosen cycle a washing machine doesn’t actually use that much. I’ve measured ours and a typical 30-40 degree wash uses less than 2kWh. Which aligns with your observed 46p.

20p (about 3kWh of gas) for a single sink full seems like a lot. Some combis have a setting where it keeps a few litres of water inside it warm so that you get hot water faster when you turn on the tap, it saves water at the expense of gas as it has to fire up every hour or so to make sure it stays warm. That could account for some… but I think only like 20p/day.