Large bill - have I been charged twice forJan18?

Have just received a statement dated 8 Feb charging me £270.22 for the period 7/12 thru 6/2. My previous bill charged for the period 7/12 thru 6/1. Have I been charged twice for Dec 17? £270.22 Seems a high bill for a single month.

Were any of the figures estimates? £270 for dual fuel sounds a bit to me: we’ve a 3 bedroom/3 storey new build with people in it 24/7 and only get through around £100 per month.

@9potatoes You should see that there’s a credit note there - it’s shown at the top of your statement in the Opening Balance information. The January bill was cancelled and whatever you paid was credited back onto your account. You were then charged for the period 7/12 to 6/2 instead.

@“Ursula at Bulb” Perhaps you could suggest to the billing team that if this ever happens again the explanation of what has happened could maybe be expressed in a clearer way? I’m not sure that ‘previous impacted bills’ is the best description to use.

“Your bill has been corrected as we received more
accurate info about your usage. We’ve refunded the
previous impacted bills, listed below as credit notes,
and re-calculated the correct cost of your energy for
the full period.”

@xxx what is the wording you would recommend? How is this?:
usage we calculated in previous statements, listed below as credit notes,
the full period.”
Is that any better?

@9potatoes as is hopefully clear from the discusison here, you’ve received a consolidated statement. You have not been double-charged.

usage we calculated in previous statements, listed below as credit notes,
the full period.”
Is that any better?

@“Andrew at Bulb” . Not really.

The failed reading chaos had nothing to do with you receiving inaccurate usage info (as implied in the statement), but more to do with Bulb’s interpretation of the (accurate) readings.

Couldn’t the first sentence just say there was a problem with your billing system which has now been resolved?

@xxx ah I see what you mean. The problem is that we need text that works for consolidated bills in lots of different circumstances. Usually the reason for a consolidated bill is indeed new information. Let me think about this a bit.

@“Andrew at Bulb” OK, let’s be positive about this. Have a more user-friendly generic statement (your version above is better than the current one) and forget about it not accurately reflecting the Dec-Feb situation, since that’s never going to happen again (?!)

Thanks @xxx.

Correct – the gas reading validation dumpster fire in Dec/Jan should not happen again.