Making Bulb more accessible

In December 2017 Alla posted on the Community about our commitment to making Bulb more accessible. Since then we’ve been busy making sure that our members with a range of requirements can enjoy our energy services in the same way as everyone else.

Did you know that members with visual impairments can now use assistive technologies such as screen readers and screen magnifiers? We can also send account and bill information in larger print or braille. Nifty.

There are some equally nifty ways we can communicate with members who have hearing impairments. British Sign Language (BSL) users can use a Video Relay service. Just create a SignIn Live account and you can contact us using a sign interpreter. This service is available from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm and is free of charge.

By making small changes, we can make a big difference for our members. In fact, we reckon these improvements will be useful to 10% of our members.

What else can we do to help our members manage their energy? We’d love to hear your ideas on how Bulb can make communicating with you easier.

Head to our accessibility page to out find more.

Hey @“Eleanor at Bulb”

I’m really glad to see there are more development and improvements going forward to assist our members with visual impairments and other difficulties, progress is always positive.

Perhaps if we implemented a text to speech system within our statements, it may allow members with visual impairments to read their statements better and manage their accounts that little bit easier. For those with hearing difficulties, they could also connect to their computer with the appropriate equipment in order to listen to their statements and get a breakdown - allowing for a little more independence and freedom.

I’ll keep pondering some ideas and get back to you - kudos to you and the team for the progress so far!

Hey @mitchell. We’re pleased to know that you like the new features.

We like the idea of the text to speech system for statements too. There are currently tools out there for those with visual impairments to have statements read out but if this is something we can offer too, I’m sure it would be a great help.

For now, there a few things we can do to make reading statements easier. Any member can give us a call and we’ll be able to run through the statement with them. Or, you can also use the screen reader on the “payments and statements” tab" on a Bulb Account.

I’ve recently spoken to a member who has electricity and gas meters that reads the meter reading allowed. I’m looking into how our members can get their hands on one of these.

Please do keep pondering. The best ideas often come from our members.