Mark 2 Wholesale gas prices have halved recently, when will Bulb customers see gas prices reflect this?

@shamsuddin I’ve done exactly as you’ve said, switched just my gas to So and kept my electric with Bulb. I can also confirm they’re switching me to Alder without an exit charge, because I’m within 14 days of already paying the Yak exit charge to switch to Acorn. The Acorn<>Alder difference for me is less than a tenth of a penny, but over 14000kWh that’s still another £10 saving :smiley:

2 Likes

Octopus are more expensive for me on the standard single rate tariff. I think Go or Agile would work out cheaper than Bulb’s smart tariff, but as I’ve said a number of times I can’t be bothered to get my meters replaced again. I’ll review this in 12 months or so when it might be clearer how DCC migrations are going.

What are OVO like? They are the same price as Octopus and appear to use the same Smets2 meter as Bulb. I think Octopus migfht also accept the Bulb Landis Gyr Smets 2 meter or will soon though.

I’ll let you know next week whether Octopus can read the Bulb-installed smart meters…

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll look out for that.

1 Like

As long as this forum account doesn’t disappear in the switch! But they seem to persist…

If it’s SMETS2 then any supplier will be able to read it. If it’s SMETS1 and ‘Secure’ brand then Octopus, OVO & others will be able to read it Help and FAQs | Octopus Energy

1 Like

This is true, in principle, but given all the hitches and problems in installing the smart meters I’ll believe it when I see it.

2 Likes

Oooh! First ever IHD message.

6 Likes

Not sure which Smart Meter you have. But for us, Octopus have not even bothered trying to see if they can read our existing Elster AS3000P smart meter, original installed by SSE in 2018. In this regard they are a little different to Bulb which seem to be able to read some SMETS1 meters. Though in your case technically the should be able to read yours as it should be SMETS2, so will be fascinated to see what happens. What brand/manufacturer smart meter did Bulb provide?

The good news for me was that our Octopus electricity only starts on the 31st January, and Octopus have already booked us an engineer to install one of their SMETS2 secure meters. They were quite proactive about this, I’m assuming because we’ve stated we want to be on the Go tariff.

My only minor gripe, is that as our gas is with So.energy, octopus will only replace the Electricity Smart meter. To my knowledge, when they do this the Elster Smart Gas meter will loose it’s zig bee connection with the electricity smart meter’s communication module. Thus our new Octopus IHD will only show electricity usage information and no gas. At the moment we can see gas usage (not cost) on our IHD which makes submitting meter readings to So that much easier. Now I will have to take 5 min in the cold to go outside and read the meter. Probably a bit of a first-world problem and not something too complain too much about.:sweat_smile:

Amazing. It’ll be good to see proof that a Bulb SMETS2 smart meter that’s never worked, immediately begins working perfectly when switching to another supplier. I think it’s long been clear that the majority of Bulb’s smart meter problems have been with their own software and not the DCC as they claim. That’s not denying that there are problems with the DCC and many installations, but that it’s much more Bulb’s problem than they’re making out.

3 Likes

I think this will certainly happen given the SMETS1 gas and SMETS2 electric difference. What will be interesting is when So Energy begin installing SMETS2 meters, whether they’ll be able to give you a new gas meter and be able to pair it with the communication hub provided by Octopus. Surely the system is designed to handle the situation where the two services are not with the same supplier? Hmm, maybe not given how it’s all panned out so far.

This is why I’m gonna wait for a DCC migration. I’ve already done my fair share of being the guinea pig :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

To be fair to Bulb, for the last couple of months this smart meter has been working fine.

2 Likes

This is indeed a bit of a concern, and hopefully they will be compatible with one another as both would be SMETS2.

However, with that said I’m less concerned with the Gas meter being smart as between the data provided by our Nest thermostat and checking my monthly So.Energy statement. The only thing the Gas smart meter provides is a bit of convenience. The electricity meter being smart is far more essential for us at present so that we can benefit from TOU tariff.

Good to hear that at least some people have working SMETS2 meters from Bulb. Though too my knowledge can Bulb members with a SMETS2 meter still not move to the Bulb Smart Tariff? Whether you would choose to take that risk with all the Smart Tariff billing trouble is another matter. A significant reason I’m opting for the Octopus Go tariff.

1 Like

As of right now that’s still correct, yes.

I assume that Bulb’s own SMETS2 meters wont be smart tariff compatible until they have their new platform online, at which point SMETS1 smart tariff customers will also be migrated across. Just a guess though.

1 Like

I’ve been with Bulb since September but am already considering moving. Money saving expert cheap energy club send me alerts on reducing energy costs. The latest one led me to seeing Bulb gas it almost 50% more expensive than Avro 12month fix, electricity about the same whilst standing charge for Bulb about 30% more. Come on Bulb, this won’t do! I will be moving soon, methinks…

2 Likes

It does feel as if Bulb are seeing how long they can drag their heels in order to make money, which if true, is really poor form.

I personally signed up for a combination of green energy and a tariff that track the cost of providing it. I understood that if it goes up my payments go up, but should unit costs decrease so should our payments.

Unfortunately this has not happened and it only seems to work one way.

5 Likes

My Bulb says Toshiba but further down meter type is Landis Gyr+ 5424 which is Smets2 installed last June. Would expect it to work smart fairly universally.

2 Likes

Switch update: I’ve now left Bulb.
This forum account still works.
IHD is now displaying a zero rate for electricity, still on the old Bulb rate for gas.
Octopus say they have detected the smart meter and will be able to use it but it will take up to 4 weeks for the to take readings from it.
Final meter readings were manual. Smart meters are not yet used for that.

5 Likes

The

IHD has started updating itself.

Edit: the update was successful and the IHD is already displaying the correct prices for the new provider’s tariff.

Some aspects of this smart meter system do seem to actually work!

7 Likes