Mark 2 Wholesale gas prices have halved recently, when will Bulb customers see gas prices reflect this?

Thanks @Dan42

Hmm… will be interesting to see if that’s because you’ve only just joined. But if they don’t provide a monthly graph it would be a bit disappointing. But as you say with an API and community there are solutions.

I’m no image coder. But I’m fairly competent at back-end Javascript (node.js). I’ve been contemplating building my own web-ui or learning android development to code my own app to log our Solar production. As our inverter is a Ginlong Solis 4G (whilst the app and website are surprisingly good for a cheap Chinese company) but I’ve never felt super comfortable with the inverter sending data to Chinese servers and being on our home wifi. Recently moved it off to our isolated IOT wifi. But the inverter can be set to send data to a secondary server (IP of your choosing), which sends data every 5 min via a socket connection.

Maybe I will try combine the data from Octopus and the Inverter for a more complete picture.

Bulb are you listening??? API…???

1 Like

This is the difference between data from a CAD uploaded over WiFi (high cadence, low latency, and more granular) and data uploaded via the DCC (low cadence and less granular).

This is not too bad. I currently have an API of my own working with Bulb. One of my systems automatically fires off an email asking for my half hourly usage on the 1st of every month, and Bulb eventually reply with a smart subject access request data export. It’s a very high latency API but it does work :rofl:

1 Like

Bulb has an API we can access? Not that it matters much for me now :laughing:

No, I was being facetious. Read my description again, it’s an email “API” :crazy_face:

1 Like

Switching update:

Having been on Octopus for over a week and using OctoWatchdog IOS app to analyse my usage, I realised I’d save money on the Agile smart tariff which is a half-hourly dynamic smart rate.

The Bulb smart meter is fully compatible with this and Octopus were able to switch my tariff for the next day.

2 Likes

@Dan42 That’s fantastic to hear they could change you over so quickly, as soon as we have our SMETS2 meter installed (engineer is booked to arrive today) and working will be going onto the Agile Tariff, significantly cheaper for us compared to the Go tariff. Couple of nights ago the cost between 1am and 6am was 1.5p!

Also I find it amusing that Octopus could use the Bulb SMETS2 meter for their Agile, but Bulb cannot for their Smart Tariff.

2 Likes

Yes. The SMETS2 migration has been pretty much flawless, giving me some optimism that once the gremlins are ironed out it will be quite a good system.

Agile does throw up a disadvantage of current IHD tech, however. Current generation IHDs can’t cope with a half-hourly changing rate, so the price can’t be displayed (Octopus install the same Chameleon IHDs as Bulb so this isn’t a Bulb issue).

2 Likes

Fair enough, maybe that’s something that could be improved with firmware down the road, not holding my breath though.

Most of the time I only use the IHD to see realtime kW useage. Rarely if ever use it to check the cost of our usage.

@Dan42 do you have the IHD3 or 6? Octopus have only provides us the IHD3, was somewhat hoping for the updated 6 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have an IHD3, which I believe is the one supplied by Octopus too.

https://www.octopusenergyservices.com/ihd3

Well we’ve had our SMETS2 Meter installed by the Octopus engineer and the IHD is showing usage and our current single rate. The installation took about 30min without any issue.

We now have to wait for Octopus to confirm the install and check their receiving 30min readings and then we will be moved onto Agile.

Obviously, the old gas SMETS1 Meter was not changed and therefore cannot communicate with the communication module on the new SMETS2 Electricity Meter. Not entirely, sure how it works if So.Energy start supporting smart meters and how a Gas only install would work.

1 Like

That looks identical to the kit that Bulb installs.

1 Like

I would imagine it is. Though are Bulb not providing the need IHD6 now? I’m guessing the IHD3 does not have wifi and therefore support for the Samsung SmartThings app?

The UI on the IHD3 is well… a bit antiquated, all the info is there but the layout could be a better.

1 Like

BTW When Octopus start receiving 30-minute readings you’ll get a green tick on your account page.

2 Likes

Interesting it’s an Octopus branded van and not a third party contractor.

1 Like

Yeah, was kinda surprised by that as well.

They have their own installation company.
https://www.octopusenergyservices.com/

2 Likes

By the looks they gave their tentacles in everything: octopus energy, octopus investments, octopus EV… :joy:

1 Like

Does this explain why they have everything apparently so seamless?

I guess Bulb c-level staff could learn a thing or two about management.

1 Like

Maybe not surprising that Octopus aren’t scared of engineering. I think they started out as a solar power company.

1 Like

Pan: what firmware Zigbee version is your Octopus IHD?

Bulb have updated their IHD3s via Wi-Fi to 2.5.0. The previous version was buggy.

1 Like