May go back to British Gas

We moved to this house last year with a smart meter fitted by British Gas already here.
Didn’t want to stay with BG so changed to Bulb.
The smart meter doesn’t work with Bulb and because my bills are so high, I may need to transfer back to BG just so I can see why my bills are so high.

Seems to be a rather extreme way to find out why your bills are so high. Why not use the information available and do some calculations to find out the cause.

You can still manually read your meter without the smart meter in-home display - and the IHD won’t actually help you figure out what is causing the high bill. You can pick up a few ‘power meters’ (we’ve just picked up two Floureon Power Meters from Amazon for £23 for the pair - Killawatt is another brand available) and plug them into sockets to try and figure out which appliances are using the most power (spoiler: it’s probably an electric oven, dryer, washing machine or PC). Having my main PC on 24/7 all month adds about £10 to our electricity bill.

@RichyB, off topic but why do you have your main PC on 24/7?

Sometimes I’ve got videos encoding (still trying to convert every single one of our DVDs/Blu-rays to digital to store on our Plex NAS: we’ve now only got 1 DVD/Blu-ray player in the house - in that PC - but we still want to watch things on our laptops or via Google Chromecast/Amazon Fire Plex installs on the TVs), sometimes running deep learning algorithms, sometimes just processing data, sometimes just backing up/moving data, sometimes just waiting for downloads (600+ games in my steam library, Fortnite and all Blizzard games - there’s usually several Gbs of updates for one or the other of them per day), other times actually using it and sometimes I just can’t be bothered shutting it down/restarting it because it takes ages. I do work from home (mainly from laptop), but main PC is quite ‘beefy’ so I try and get any long running/CPU/GPU intensive stuff running on it.

Admittedly I dont have anything like that activity on my PC but it is on all day, I have a timer that turns off everything in that room at midnight and comes back on at 8.00 am, I do this more from a safety fire issue than anything else.

@RichyB, ahh, I have a server running ARM that I boot up for disk rips when required (FreeNAS HP Gen8 MS as NAS). I don’t actually own a TV though so it’s mostly for music and my media watching tends to be quite limited.

I find I very rarely actually boot up my (gaming) desktop these days as if it’s not switched on, I can’t be vegetating in my chair playing PUBG!

sometimes I just can't be bothered shutting it down/restarting it because it takes ages
No SSD then? I'm currently considering upgrading my laptop's SSD to a Samsung 960 Pro from the Sandisk X400 that it came with as I'm finding the 15 second or so cold boot speed a little slow :mrgreen:
I have a timer that turns off everything in that room at midnight and comes back on at 8.00 am, I do this more from a safety fire issue than anything else.
What is it that you're concerned for the fire safety of? I think the only thing I tend to watch more closely is recharging newly salvaged 18650s but once they've had a few test cycles I'm normally pretty happy leaving them unattended too.
What is it that you're concerned for the fire safety of? I think the only thing I tend to watch more closely is recharging newly salvaged 18650s but once they've had a few test cycles I'm normally pretty happy leaving them unattended too.

Its more a general fear of fire than specific to my PC, ideally I don’t like anything left on overnight, including standbys.