Meter Change

Me again, when I move to my new house rather than cancel could I change the pre pay meter to a meter where I can by direct debit like I do currently?

See: Can I exchange my prepayment meter? – Bulb

If the existing supplier to your new property is not already Bulb, investigate replacing the meters with them before starting a switch to Bulb. You may be able to get them replaced more cheaply.

Remember that energy suppliers do not supply people, they supply properties. You’re not going to be “taking Bulb with you” in any real sense. It’s not like transferring a Sky account, for example. Even if you switch your new property to Bulb, you’ll still be closing your old account and ending responsibility for your old property, and starting a new account for your new property.

The current provider only do pre pay, they don’t do any other metres

The current provider only do pre pay, they don't do any other metres

Then you can either switch to Bulb, and pay £120 to replace each meter, or you could switch to one of the Big 6 first and get the meters replaced potentially for free, then subsequently switch to Bulb once it’s done. Morally questionable maybe.

There’s also the option of keeping the prepay meters until Bulb are ready to install smart meters for free at your new property. But that could be months away and depends how patient you are.

I am already with Bulb so just wanted to change the address on my account, bit annoying they charge £120 when the big 6 do it for free

I am already with Bulb so just wanted to change the address on my account, bit annoying they charge £120 when the big 6 do it for free

That’s not how it works. Energy suppliers do not supply people, they supply properties. You’re not going to be “taking Bulb with you” in any real sense. It’s not like transferring a Sky account, for example. Even if you switch your new property to Bulb, you’ll still be closing your old account and ending responsibility for your old property, and starting a new account for your new property.

It's not like transferring a Sky account, for example.
Well, in some ways it is.

If you move to a house without a sky dish and you want sky, you either pay Sky for installation, or they charge you a load extra (like the big 6 do in terms of energy prices) to install it for you for “free”.

No company’s going to install new hardware for free for you just because you decided to move house. You’re going to get charged for it somehow.

@PhilH1979, if another energy company will do it for free for you though - just get them to do it then switch back to Bulb afterwards.

It's not like transferring a Sky account, for example.
Well, in some ways it is.

If you move to a house without a sky dish and you want sky, you either pay Sky for installation, or they charge you a load extra (like the big 6 do in terms of energy prices) to install it for you for “free”.

No company’s going to install new hardware for free for you just because you decided to move house. You’re going to get charged for it somehow.

Sure, the analogy doesn’t 100% hold up.

The important point I’m trying to get across is that it isn’t a transfer of service. You’re always closing one account and opening another. If you were to truly transfer the service and “take Bulb with you” then the property you leave behind would have no supplier at all. It isn’t as simple as just changing the address on the account.

Is there a better analogy that help explain it?

Is there a better analogy that help explain it?
I think your explanation was probably the best way to explain it, no analogies required!
I think your explanation was probably the best way to explain it, no analogies required!

Fairy nuff! :slight_smile: