Meter reading for "yesterday"

Hi - I’ve gone to submit a reading today, that I took yesterday.
Previously, I was able to pick a date within the last few days, so I could read the meter one day and enter it the next, picking yesterday’s date.

I don’t see that option any more. I do see a box to enter the numbers after the decimal point now, but not the date selection.

Has the date option been removed?
Do I just contact support now to get them to enter a meter reading I didn’t take today?

Hey @ryan4257 we found that very few people were using this function, so to simplify the process we removed it. You can go ahead and enter the reading anyway, it will just be recorded in our systems for ‘today’.

@Jenny at Bulb, was this to simplify the back end systems and reduce the potential for issues at your end?

It seems odd to remove a feature that (as far as I can tell) should not add any confusion for customers and provides additional functionality.

@mowcius we’re redesigning quite a few features of the Bulb account to make it more intuitive. A lot of people gave feedback that it was hard to navigate. Some of that simplification will involve removing features that don’t get used very much.

@mowcius we're redesigning quite a few features of the Bulb account to make it more intuitive. A lot of people gave feedback that it was hard to navigate. Some of that simplification will involve removing features that don't get used very much.
I do question whether that feature made navigation any more difficult though. It's surely only a single box extra to pick the date, which can default to "Today".

Fair point. I’ll raise it with @“Simone at Bulb”

If anything, it’s made things more difficult for me.
I don’t always get to submit the readings on the day I take them. The readings I Took on the 1st of Feb went to waste, because I didn’t get a response. Submitting them 5 days later is no good, because that will just screw up the future estimated readings you generate for me.
I’ve done it again, taken a reading on the 15th but couldn’t submit until now. I don’t want that reading to be logged as the 16th - luckily I can log it today so it’s not too far out, but often I can’t log it for a few days.

I really don’t see the point in removing that feature if it wasn’t causing problems and was used by members.
I think you should put a little more faith in users, and put a text box explaining what the obvious dropdown was for, if you think it was confusing people.

What is going to create confusion, is the new text box to enter a number after the decimal point. My electricity meter doesn’t have a decimal number, but I know to enter 0. I can’t imagine everyone would know that though. Especially when your own helpful hints say to ignore that number when reading, yet you ask for it when entering.

@ryan4257 Thanks for the feedback, you’re right that it doesn’t give you full control of the meter readings you’re submitting. I’ll pass this feedback on.

As for the decimal point, it’s something that we have been looking into internally and we have received feedback from members that the number after the point is confusing as well. We’re going to address this issue soon :slight_smile:

As for the decimal point, it's something that we have been looking into internally and we have received feedback from members that the number after the point is confusing as well. We're going to address this issue soon :)
@"SJ at Bulb", can you confirm why this was introduced in the first place?

Previous comments seemed to suggest that the meter reading page was somewhat tailored to each individual meter but now it seems like everyone’s is the same with a single decimal place.

Was it just to try and remove confusion as estimated readings are generated with a decimal place?

@mowcius We ran some internal user research here at Bulb and we received feedback that some people find it confusing that the screen doesn’t show a decimal point when their meter does.

We tried to address this feedback and implemented a change. As ever, we are always improving our website, so we’ll be continuing to tweak and refine our meter reading submission page to make it easy to use for everyone :+1:

@mowcius We ran some internal user research here at Bulb and we received feedback that some people find it confusing that the screen doesn't show a decimal point when their meter does.
But don't most meters either show two decimal places or no decimal places?

It seems like the confusion has now just been moved to a different group of people.

good day, just wondering when i can get a smart meter installed in my home ? regards

@jameslapaint Bulb are trialling 2nd gen smart meters from around June this year - you can sign up here to be included:

@mowcius you’re basically right. Our user research team – hello @“Caroline W at Bulb” :slight_smile: – is looking to steer us back to not asking for the decimal point.

@mowcius Yes, @andrew and @sj are right, research found that people found it confusing that the meter readings page didn’t exactly match their actual meters in terms of decimal points. Unfortunately, in practice it’s been difficult to implement this and ensure a match. So we’re planning on going back to meter readings page without decimal points again, thanks to feedback from our members :smile: