Meter reading problem + estimated reading problem

Hi,

I joined bulb last month and I have two separate problems with my gas and electricity meter readings.

For gas, my estimated reading is currently at 949, and the opening reading last month is estimated to be 920. The reading on the meter is currently 663, so this doesn’t make much sense.

For electricity, I have a “real” opening reading and an estimated reading for this month. I am estimated to have used £112 in the last month. This is way more than I used to use with my own provider and can’t imagine where this estimate came from. The problem with this is that I cannot read my smart meter because the display is blank and no matter what buttons I press, the display remains blank. I think it might be broken.

Thanks.
Dave

Hi,

I joined bulb last month and I have two separate problems with my gas and electricity meter readings.

For gas, my estimated reading is currently at 949, and the opening reading last month is estimated to be 920. The reading on the meter is currently 663, so this doesn’t make much sense.

For electricity, I have a “real” opening reading and an estimated reading for this month. I am estimated to have used £112 in the last month. This is way more than I used to use with my own provider and can’t imagine where this estimate came from. The problem with this is that I cannot read my smart meter because the display is blank and no matter what buttons I press, the display remains blank. I think it might be broken.

Thanks.
Dave

I’m purely a customer and must have been really lucky to find my first two months or so with Bulb have not encountered any problems similar to yours. Did you supply Bulb with meter readings just prior to your actual switch and have you supplied meter readings just prior to preparation of your bill (Bulb should have emailed you to request meter readings). If you haven’t done this then Bulb will have to use estimated readings which will self correct themselves when you submit future readings at the correct time.

Yes, I did supply meter readings, so not sure why the gas opening reading is an estimate. I guess this is just all opening problems that will smooth out over time. I still think my electricity meter is broken though and the estimated use of electricity is wrong.

@dave_k I have sent you an email, if you could reply with a photo of your meter then we will be able to get the reading corrected :slight_smile:

Thanks Dan. I’ll send the photo later this evening.

7 months on and my bill is still not correct.

The electricity meter was installed with an opening reading of 8451. I’m being billed for that value, but there was a jump of about 7500 from the old meter to the new one.

There should be algorithms to prevent abnormal bills. I had an issue when Npower put in the wrong initial reading. It took them a while, then I submitted daily readings for 3 days to prove my story was accurate.