Meter reading

I am switching to Bulb but frankly the experience is not very smooth. My electricity and gas switching dates are 9 days apart due to an error on Bulb’s part. I have now submitted both readings yesterday (18 Nov) with the intention of submitting further readings on switch day of 21 Nov and 30 Nov (gas switch day). Looking at MyBulb today I see that the electricity reading is now dated 21 Nov. This is incorrect and I fail to understand why this has happened.

@keith, I also had some confusion signing up with my first readings.

As with other suppliers, Bulb request meter readings for the switch, which I believe can be taken within 5 days either side of your switch date.
This reading whenever you take it is considered to be the switch date reading to make things simpler. This seems pretty standard across the industry.

The confusion arises due to the fact that Bulb provides everyone with access to the account before the switch completes (unlike most other suppliers), and things can appear quite weird.

The first reading date no doubt needs to remain as your switch date even if it’s a little in the future, as Bulb can’t do anything with meter readings before then, but the whole process could be made a little less confusing.

Out of interest, can you clarify exactly what Bulb did wrong to delay your gas switch by 9 days?

@mowcius Can I submit the actual reading on the 21 and 30? If not the gas reading in particular will be more than 5 days old.

Out of interest, can you clarify exactly what Bulb did wrong to delay your gas switch by 9 days?

A direct quote from the email that they sent me

Hi Keith,

Unfortunately, your gas switch to Bulb has been delayed, and will now complete on 30 November. Your electricity switch is unaffected and will complete on 21 November as planned.

Some of the information about your switch wasn’t passed on to your old supplier as quickly as it should have. We’ve fixed it now and we’ll investigate how we can stop this happening in future.

Can I submit the actual reading on the 21 and 30? If not the gas reading in particular will be more than 5 days old.
I don't believe you can on the website at least. If you phone them up you might be able to.

Presuming Bulb is cheaper than your old supplier though, I wouldn’t worry about it.
Supplying a meter reading early just means that you’ll pay Bulb for a bit extra rather than your old supplier (and save money in the process).
Once I realised that, I just took it as an unexpected bonus.

@mowcius As always your input clarifies the issue - thanks.

@keith @mowcius - you’ve pretty much covered it already. The submission period for a new customer’s first meter read is 5 days before and after their actual supply start date. The first input will count, regardless of further inputs closer to that date - the margin of error here is extremely low, which is why it’s common practice. As for further meter reads, we’ll always take the most recent submission before the end of a billing period to calculate the actual consumption, so again there’s no point to submit multiple readings each month

@keith - as your gas supply starts on the 30th, readings within 5 days either side of that date will be valid. If no readings are submitted, an estimate based on the last actual reading with your old supplier and their estimates will be used to calculate your opening meter read - long story short: it’s much better for you to have an accurate reading from the supply start date. You’ll then receive an email every month as a reminder to submit readings to keep your account as up-to-date as possible

Hope that helps :wink:

@“Ralf at Bulb”, so for his gas switch he should submit another gas reading closer to the 30th of November to make sure it’s within the 5 day window?

@mowcius yup, that’d be ideal