Meter reading

If I had a pre pay smart meter with my previous supplier is it still possible/necessary to give meter readings? Many thanks!

Hi @Lucy_Evans_84, Bulb do not currently supply pre-pay meters but should do from the end of this month.

At the moment, all smart meters have to be read manually with Bulb. This will change later this year (around August) when new smart meters are rolled out by Bulb and readings will become automatic.

Hi @Lucy_Evans_84 - with a prepay smart meter, your meter will switch to a credit meter once you come over to us so that we can charge you by direct debit instead of you having to top up the meter.

We will still need a meter reading, which you should be able to take on the 10th when the switch comes through. This this article in our help centre explains how to read different types of smart meters: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001232832-How-do-I-read-my-meter-

Let us know if you have any questions!

Great thanks for replies- will look for the meter reading on the 10th

with a prepay smart meter, your meter will switch to a credit meter once you come over to us
What are the requirements for switching from a prepay smart meter to a standard credit meter? Do you perform credit checks?

@mowcius Vicky is referring to the smart meter automatically re-configuring from prepayment mode to credit, we don’t conduct credit checks when you switch so it’s the same as any other switch