Meter Reading

Hi, Do bulb send people around to ready your meter?

Hi @Sallie,

Bulb asks its customers (like you and me) to provide meter readings at least every 3 months (ideally every month - about 3 days before the bill is due: they’ll send a reminder when you should do this). However, like all utility providers, they have a statutory obligation to have an ‘engineer read’ at least once every two years (they will also do a quick check that your meter ‘looks okay’ at this time) - for this, Bulb use a third party company called Morrison Data Services - you can read more about MDS and other visitors from Bulb at When an engineer visits your home – Bulb .

Bulb don’t send usually meter readers out every month/quarter due to the cost - however, if you are classed a ‘vulnerable’ and are unable to read your meter yourself, they will arrange this to be done (see Signing up for free support services – Bulb )

Hope it helps.

Hi, Thank you Richy, I always read my meter Monthly. I was just concerned because some one did knock the door today to read the meter, he was in a Morrisons van. I didn’t let him in because i didn’t think I was expecting a meter reading. At least I know now if he comes again.

Hi, Thank you Richy, I always read my meter Monthly. I was just concerned because some one did knock the door today to read the meter, he was in a Morrisons van. I didn't let him in because i didn't think I was expecting a meter reading. At least I know now if he comes again.

Yes, Bulb (and many suppliers) use Morrisons Data Services to read their meters. Even if you supply your own readings, or even have a smart meter with automatic upload, they are still required to officially read the meters at least once every two years. This is more so to spot if anything is wrong, say you’ve been giving wrong readings either accidentally or deliberately, or maybe you’ve bypassed the meter to get free electric.

Likewise I do not answer the door unless I’m expecting someone. Nothing good ever came from a cold call. I haven’t had my meters read for years because of this. They typically leave a card and ask me to write the readings on and they will collect it, or I can leave it on display in a window somewhere. Quite how this is any different to or more trustworthy than the readings I give myself, I have no clue.

If they want to get in, they need to make an appointment. They don’t make appointments so that’s that.

Hi, Thank you Richy, I always read my meter Monthly. I was just concerned because some one did knock the door today to read the meter, he was in a Morrisons van. I didn't let him in because i didn't think I was expecting a meter reading. At least I know now if he comes again.

Yes, Bulb (and many suppliers) use Morrisons Data Services to read their meters. Even if you supply your own readings, or even have a smart meter with automatic upload, they are still required to officially read the meters at least once every two years. This is more so to spot if anything is wrong, say you’ve been giving wrong readings either accidentally or deliberately, or maybe you’ve bypassed the meter to get free electric.

Likewise I do not answer the door unless I’m expecting someone. Nothing good ever came from a cold call. I haven’t had my meters read for years because of this. They typically leave a card and ask me to write the readings on and they will collect it, or I can leave it on display in a window somewhere. Quite how this is any different to or more trustworthy than the readings I give myself, I have no clue.

If they want to get in, they need to make an appointment. They don’t make appointments so that’s that.

I’ve not even been with them 6 months yet so plenty of time for them to come in and read the meter

I've not even been with them 6 months yet so plenty of time for them to come in and read the meter

I don’t think it makes any difference how long a customer has been with Bulb, I would assume Morrisons Data Services visit areas to read meters otherwise they would have to keep visiting the same area every day