Meter readings

I have received the monthly email to submit my readings. As always I have read the meters and entered the figures into the app, after I input the gas reading a line of red text appeared saying it was different to what was expected with the option to submit anyway, which I did. Then it told me the same thing again.

Does it not take into consideration that my start figures were estimated by the industry group that oversees energy changeovers, even though I had sent in as I always do the actual readings at the correct time. So having paid my previous supplier for gas I never had I am still sort of catching up with it, also having the hottest summer, being away on holiday a couple of times it should be no surprise that my gas compsumption is extremely low. So I hope my next statement is not estimated.

Looking to the future when I move on I expect that this “we don’t believe you” scenario will continue to roll on which seems ridiculous when we are asked to give the readings but no one takes any notice of them.

The meter gives a number I write it down and send it, should be simple shouldn’t it but it all just seems rather pointless at the end. Just send a meter reader.

i would suggest you do not wait for the email from bulb requesting meter readings but send your readings well in advance of your direct debit payment date. I have found that I had received my email from bulb to submit readings but the estimated payment was already pending on the same day.

@Tinman I’m sorry for the confusion - we had received an update from the national gas database that estimated your annual gas usage at 1kWh. This is obviously incorrect, but it led our system to not accept your actual reading as it was higher than expected. We’ve now removed the incorrect annual estimate & submitted your actual reading.

@saghirahmed It is normal that your payment will already be pending when we ask for a meter reading. We take payments in advance at Bulb, so the payment we’re taking is for the month ahead. The meter reading we ask for is so that we can produce a statement for the month that’s just finished.

@Caspar thanks for responding.
Although not Bulbs fault the real problems lie with the appointed official bodies for coordinating readings and changeovers, but who are they to say what correct readings are when they haven’t a clue what that meter shows. As I have already mentioned I look at what the meter figures are and then meticulously record them and immediately send them to you.

Do you pass back information where they are wrong because if two independent groups continually think they’re doing a good job when they are incorrect then it’s a sad situation as they’re making money for nothing, whilst giving everyone else a headache they can do without.

i would suggest you do not wait for the email from bulb requesting meter readings but send your readings well in advance of your direct debit payment date. I have found that I had received my email from bulb to submit readings but the estimated payment was already pending on the same day.

@saghirahmed

You are totally misunderstanding the pending situation.

If you go to your “Payments & statements” in your account dashboard you will see just under “Monthly payments” a figure in £’s this is what will come out your account each month as a direct debit payment and this will be your “pending payment”. It will not be affected by your readings for that month or even an estimated reading. To some extent you are in control of your monthly direct debit payment amount which ideally should remain fairly static (ignoring price increases/decreases) over a 12 month period to cover low energy use in the summer and higher energy use in the winter.

@Tinman the body that sends us these numbers does provide a useful service-aside from coordinating things like this they also provide estimated switchover readings when somebody changes supplier and doesn’t give their new supplier a reading, to make sure they don’t get double billed for their usage, that sort of thing. They certainly aren’t perfect (as you’re well aware) but they are useful in a lot of situations.

The info on which they base all the numbers they send us is a record of every meter reading from your meter over the last few years, and things like the annual consumption of your meter should be updated every time you give us readings (which we then pass on to them). Whether they do so in a particularly timely manner is another question, but it does get done.