Meter readings

Does anyone know how to ensure that Bulb recognise the meter readings submitted via the app?
I have submitted multiple readings over the past months but Bulb appear to ignore them. I’m thinking of cancelling as I don’t trust them to accurately charge me.

I’ve had the same issue, but submitted the readings online and via the app…I’ve just sent them an email too

It usually happens when the reading you’ve given is a long way off from the “expected” reading. There are several legitimate reasons why this could be. The best course of action is to get in touch with Bulb and send them a photo of the meter showing clearly the reading and the serial number.

It sounds like this has been going on for several months now. Given you’re worried about accurate billing and considering leaving, it possibly would have been good to ask Bulb about the problem quite some time ago …

Personally I only moved to Bulb in July and only moved in to the property in May, so could not have done this sooner. I’m not sure of the OP…

I agree that meter readings way off from expected would be ‘queried’ but not ignored…Would it not have been better for Bulb to directly query with the customer, rather than just ignore them - customer service goes both ways ‘Hooloovoo’

Not sure if this will help the discussion: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360018799871-How-do-meter-validation-companies-approve-my-meter-readings-

I agree that meter readings way off from expected would be 'queried' but not ignored...Would it not have been better for Bulb to directly query with the customer, rather than just ignore them - customer service goes both ways 'Hooloovoo'

I agree ‘cplstato_1’ and have said as much on here several times. There have been lots of posts with queries where Bulb ought to have been aware of the issue via their own monitoring and altering systems, and subsequently contacted the customer before the customer maybe was even aware of the problems themselves. That doesn’t alleviate the customer of their own responsibility, it is after all, in their own bet interest regarding financial health and peace of mind.

I’ve just spoken to Bulb asking if they were actually receiving readings from my smart meters as non are showing on my account since 15th July.
Response was,yes we are receiving readings but the system is so overloaded we have stopped adding them to your account so please submit readings manually which do show on your account.
Surely they should have informed me of the problem rather than me having to ask.

Surely they should have informed me of the problem rather than me having to ask.

You’d think so, wouldn’t you?

They wont be the first company to find that their code doesn’t scale. Let’s say they’ve installed 40k meters now. I don’t think 40k database transactions every half an hour (assuming half-hourly billing) sounds that huge. I’d expect problems when scaling to millions of meters. Aren’t they defaulting to monthly readings, with a request for daily readings when the meters don’t work? So that’s 40k readings per day at most right now, That means they have to process one reading every two seconds to get them all done before the next day starts. I wonder how the data comes in? If every meter sends its reading at the stroke of midnight, that could be fun. It’s an interesting problem to work on.

There are about 25 million properties in the UK. Each likely with two meters, electric and gas. With half hourly reading, that’s 2.4e9 readings per day. Nearly 28k readings per second. Sheesh.