Missing Gas Readings

Hi,

I’m also missing some gas readings from my Bulb dashboard (as are many Bulb customers by the looks of it). Is there much point in taking photos of meter readings? I’m wondering why I’m using the Bulb app to take photos if the readings are going to be disregarded because they have to be validated by a third party anyway.

I would expect more transparency about this issue, and others like it, which apparently affects all Bulb customers. It would be nice if there was some official statement from Bulb about this unless they want a support forum full of confused customers asking the same question. How about a blog post?

How about it @“Will at Bulb” or anyone else who fancies the job?

A statement would go a long way towards appeasing some of the disgruntled customers, and your staff must be sick of taking exasperated calls about gas readings. Telephone response time is certainly longer than usual.

If December readings are still showing as unvalidated on your system then the problem has been there for quite a while without resolution.

Customers are much less irritable when they know what’s going on.

Hi both, thanks for posting about this. You’re right, we do receive quite a few calls about reads disappearing, and it’s something we’ve been keeping an eye on. Just to explain, the reads get submitted and are validated on our side and used for your bill, but then a few days later can disappear, because the industry validation process they go through has rejected them. This rejection can sometimes catch big errors on bills for us, so can be useful, but other times means that correct reads get removed when they shouldn’t be.

Today we’ve managed to come up with a way of stopping these unhelpful rejections, so from now on your reads won’t be removed and won’t, therefore, disappear from your MyBulb.

I hope this helps - please do get back in touch if you want to discuss this more.

I entered a GAS meter reading on 1st January and it appears that it was not picked up by your system. It does not appear in my list of customer entered readings. Today (1st Feb) I have tried to submit a gas meter reading and it took two attempts before it showed up in the readings list. Interestingly, the first attempt gave me a “thanks for your electricity reading” message. Electricity readings worked fine both on 1st Jan and today.

Hi Ursula,

From what you’ve said it sounds like the industry validation process isn’t very accurate, given that there are a lot of correct reads being invalidated. It does sound strange that you have a system where values can be rejected by an external third party, however, if this is no longer the case (at least not visible to customers) then we should be good.

However, is there a way to bring back missing readings? I’m currently missing readings from 05 Jan 18, 20 Jan 18 and 31 Jan 18. I’m concerned that it’ll negatively impact my predictions. Besides which, if I’m going to the effort of taking readings, I’d like to see them!

Yeah, Ive noticed this. It seems I have to call often and mines get rejected too. For people that dont notice (as the app is very limited) this could mean a snowball effect and later on down the line you realise that none of your readings were accepted for a year and you have a huge bill. I have to say that this has only been problem since joining bulb. I feel that not informing people of this is pretty bad and people should at least receive an email letting them know. Plus despite what you stated yesterday it seems that my reading for gas has been removed

My missing readings returned yesterday and all is still OK today. However, whatever fix was applied doesn’t seem to have helped everyone.

I really think that an Announcement from Bulb on the problem would help the situation. @“Will at Bulb”

This is a big problem. It would be nice to know via email alert when gas readings i supply are accepted or rejected, to ensure that i can take prompt action if needed…
Today, i received my latest bill and after checking online, i can see that my last two gas readings (December and January) have been removed from the system, resulting in last months bill being cancelled and credited back to the account despite it actually using the correct gas reading that i supplied. This period has then been added onto February’s bill, this time using an estimated gas reading rather than the one i submitted only 2 days ago. This gas reading showed on the system when i submitted it so was likely removed yesterday before the bill was generated today.

My readings for gas seem to have been accepted this month. Hopefully this is an end to the problem.

Thanks for the mention @xxx

@“Ursula at Bulb” put it better than I can, since she’s the one who fixed the problem. We have made a fix that will allow us to stop these readings from being rejected. So now only the readings that genuinely should be rejected will be rejected. Please let us know if you think valid readings are still being rejected.

We’re also working on providing better communication when readings are and are not used. We’re working out exactly what this would look like at the moment. What would be the ideal way for us to communicate meter readings? We were thinking of something along the lines of sending an email immediately when you submit a meter reading, telling you what your usage is and whether we think your current payment amounts are too high/too low/just right to keep your account in a perfect amount of credit for the next 12 months.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

We're also working on providing better communication when readings are and are not used. We're working out exactly what this would look like at the moment. What would be the ideal way for us to communicate meter readings? We were thinking of something along the lines of sending an email immediately when you submit a meter reading, telling you what your usage is and whether we think your current payment amounts are too high/too low/just right to keep your account in a perfect amount of credit for the next 12 months.
If you do this, can we have it as an option to turn on/off?

I can see the benefit for some members but personally I’d rather not receive an email every time I submit a reading.
I get enough emails as it is!

A quick thank-you to @“Ursula at Bulb” and @“Will at Bulb” - my missing readings have since been resurrected. Also I’m liking that my new gas and electricity readings seem to appear almost instantaneously now!

On the subject of notifications - I think immediate email notifications for readings isn’t really necessary. Maybe a monthly email ‘statement/report’ about usage would be better, which users should, of course, be able to opt out of if they so wish. I think instant email notifications about rejected readings would be welcome though. I don’t like surprises when it comes to bills, and any kind of error or issue, such as a rejected reading, is something that I would like to know about immediately should it happen.

@Alexander Good idea, we can pass the idea on to the tech team!