Mobile App? (Android)

New bulb customer here :slight_smile: I thought I’d read somewhere that there was an app in the pipeline? Is this true?

It’s in the works, think i remember it’ll be here before christmas

@james7934 and @tom6685 - you’re right - it’s on its way! We don’t have a definite date yet, but we’ll keep you in the loop B)

Android app please! Just ability to enter meter readings (add convenience, saves the bit of paper). Can you make the app open the cabinets without the need for that special triangular key?!

@bomford We are being as speedy as we can be, and we would if we could!!!

Perhaps 60% of your members are iPhone users but may not be representative of the would-be members if you made an Android app? I would welcome one

I’m surprised Android isn’t available first since Android currently has the largest global platform share.
I also understand across two platforms is time and cost prohibitive.
Thinking further into this The reason generally comes back to the learning element. Even when pockets are deep, unless an app is dead simple, it will need to go through a series of iterations before it becomes the right experience for its audience.
I await and look forward to app coming to android.

Perhaps 60% of your members are iPhone users but may not be representative of the would-be members if you made an Android app? I would welcome one

Perhaps 60%?
Is this a fact figure or did you make it up. I’m interested where you came up with 60%. I didn’t receive a survey and reckon other droid users didn’t either.
If 60% was a guess you would have been better saying 99%.

Perhaps 60%?
Is this a fact figure or did you make it up. I’m interested where you came up with 60%. I didn’t receive a survey and reckon other droid users didn’t either.
If 60% was a guess you would have been better saying 99%.

No I didn’t make it up! Bulb gave me that reason in their email, which is why I have proposed the question to them.

Hi Candace,

Big news. We’ve built an iPhone app to make it even easier to manage your energy. You can use the app to:
Send meter readings just by taking a photo
Download your statements
Refer friends straight from the app
Download it for free from the app store.

What about Android?

We started with iPhone because 60% of Bulb members have one. We love Android too, so we’re working hard to get that ready for download this year. Tell us what you want to see in the Android app on the Bulb Community:

Community discussion >
We hope you like it,
Team Bulb

I think you started with Iphone users, because maybe most of Bulb staff are Iphone users and live in places like Islington and Shoreditch :wink: . You shouldn’t just limit the App to Iphone, and delay Android, Windows and Blackberry mobile apps, all mobile users should be treated fairly and equally, regardless of the operating system they use. I’ll have you know, Iphones are not the best phones in the world, their marketing is what makes them the gadget to have. They’re known for their simplicity, and not so sophisticated and technical like Android, which you really have control over your phone.

I mean you’ve got to be pretty good at marketing a phone for a £1,000, which doesn’t give you the freedom to customize, you need Itunes to transfer media from PC to phone. Itunes is very locked down software, it doesn’t even accept lossless. flac file types.

IOS puts every app that is installed on the device prominently on the homescreen, cluttering the homescreen which looks ugly, with android you can delete them and bring them back directly by clicking on Apps on the phone. Every update adds more Apple apps that cannot be deleted. You can’t even remove them from the homescreen. This means that most IOS users have some form of a “junk folder” where they dump all the useless icons that Apple doesn’t let them delete.

The same goes for default apps. Although they now allow third party keyboards, you are unable to switch your default camera, text messaging app, or browser to a competing product. Having this choice may confuse simpler users, but it limits the options of people who know what they’re doing.

I think you started with Iphone users, because maybe most of Bulb staff are Iphone users and live in places like Islington and Shoreditch ;) . You shouldn't just limit the App to Iphone, and delay Android, Windows and Blackberry mobile apps, all mobile users should be treated fairly and equally, regardless of the operating system they use. I'll have you know, Iphones are not the best phones in the world, their marketing is what makes them the gadget to have. They're known for their simplicity, and not so sophisticated and technical like Android, which you really have control over your phone.

I mean you’ve got to be pretty good at marketing a phone for a £1,000, which doesn’t give you the freedom to customize, you need Itunes to transfer media from PC to phone. Itunes is very locked down software, it doesn’t even accept lossless. flac file types.

IOS puts every app that is installed on the device prominently on the homescreen, cluttering the homescreen which looks ugly, with android you can delete them and bring them back directly by clicking on Apps on the phone. Every update adds more Apple apps that cannot be deleted. You can’t even remove them from the homescreen. This means that most IOS users have some form of a “junk folder” where they dump all the useless icons that Apple doesn’t let them delete.

The same goes for default apps. Although they now allow third party keyboards, you are unable to switch your default camera, text messaging app, or browser to a competing product. Having this choice may confuse simpler users, but it limits the options of people who know what they’re doing.

Did you seriously just post an essay about why people should get Android’s over iPhone’s on an energy suppliers website? Jesus christ. Get help if it matters to you so much about things. Also half of that is wrong, but not worth the time debating. Just pick a phone you like and stick with it and stop trying to convince others of your life choices.

Anyways, Bulb have been open about 60% of their users are on iOS devices. They are a small team who want to publish Apps for their service. So small team, limited resources, plans to go live. What would ANYONE do (with common sense) do in that situation.

Should they target the platform which more of their users use, then continue the roll out as and when they can to get to as many people as possible?

Or should they hold back everyone just because of market share of a smaller % of users?
That makes no sense, it’s not about being treated fairly… I doubt they will ever release a Windows Phone or Blackberry app either (why would waste their time on dead platforms?) and I certainly would hope that the two leading phones aren’t held back by niche markets.

They did what most business’s do, they target the one with the most impact of their customer base and then quickly follow up on the other platforms. It’s what pretty much every company does because it makes logical sense.

If anything, as a self-declared Android fanboy your likely getting a better deal anyways; first apps are always a learning curve. The iPhone users will be testing the app and help shape it and in turn the Android app will appear with all the learnings and improvements from that. How about that for perspective?

Hi all! Just so you know, the 60% figure comes from a survey we did earlier this year.

We emailed Bulb members on the 8th May asking them which operating system they use and 2360 completed the survey. The exact numbers from that survey now were 1416 members usinh iOS, 829 using Android and 114 using either another OS or didn’t have a smartphone.

As you’ve already said, we started with the biggest group but we’re working on the others too. All feedback and suggestions welcome! There’s another app-related thread going on over here:

Any news on the android app yet?

Beta started 12 Jan -

Ooo, marvellous. I shall hop over and have a look. Thank you.