Monthly payment increase while account in credit

Hey there,

I understand energy prices are out of control but I just had a message from Bulb advising my monthly payments would be increased and it seems really high to me. I have a smart meter and it tells me that over the winter I was using between £110 - £125 a month. This has now dropped to £50 for the last month, as the weather is getting warmer. My account is in credit of £155. Bulb want to increase my payments to £146 a month. This seems steep to me, surely I would end up in a lot of credit? I’ve decreased to the minimum (£131). Is it possible I’m missing something? Or could there be a system glitch? Help much appreciated!

Rachel

Hi @rachelsound :wave: thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the community :partying_face:

This increase to your payment was correct but I do understand that you are in credit right now so this seems silly. We cannot lower the payments any further than this unfortunately.

We can however change you on to a variable direct debit if this would work better. This means that you would only pay for what you use every month instead of a set direct debit. This would also mean your account would no longer be in credit or debit as we would run down the credit in your account first before taking any further payments.

Let me know what you think of the above :bulb:

Best,
Jen :star:

Hi Jen,

Apologies for the late reply, I just spotted your message. A variable direct debit sounds like a great idea. Would I need to phone to set this up?

Hi @rachelsound :wave:

I have set your payments up to a variable direct debit for you. We will only start requesting payments once your account enters a debit. We will then request the specific account debit each month for you.

If you have any questions about this please let me know.

Best,
Luke :bulb: