Monthly payments increasing

Hi @Renationaliseenergy

I’m sorry to hear you’re still having trouble with your energy costs. If you’ve had an electrician confirm there are no issues with the appliances at the property we could look into testing the meter for accuracy.

I’ll send over an email explaining the process behind this now, just get back to me there with how you’d like to proceed.

-CJ

Your message to me and my reply.

Hi Dean,

I’m just following up from your post on our Community pages.

I’m sorry to hear you’re still unhappy with your energy costs.

We could look into testing the meter for you. If this revealed the meter was over-recording, we’d refund all the overcharges to date and replace the meter for free.

If the meter was found to be working normally then we’d charge £120 for this work. 93% of tested meters are found to be recording normally, which is why we usually don’t recommend this.

If you have any other questions or issues don’t hesitate to ask.

All the best,
Curtis

My payments have increased to £180 a month from an initial £70. When I joined Bulb I send actual energy usage from the previous year so I don’t know how they could have massively underestimated my usage. So frustrating and doesn’t help that the 1st gen smart meters aren’t yet compatible even though it should have been by April this year!

Hi Donna,

Thanks for posting and welcome to community :wave:

I am very sorry that your payments have been increased by such a lot since you started with us, especially given that you input your estimated annual usage upon signing up. Your payments have been increased in order to pay back the debt in your account, which was caused by your payment initially being too low compared to your usage.

I’ve had a look over your statements and the majority of your usage does seem to be on electricity. Do you have any really old appliances in your home, or have you bought anything extra?

It might be worth testing your meter to check whether it’s clocking usage correctly. You can do this yourself. All you need to do is to take a photo of your electricity reading and then turn off your electricity supply at the fuse box. Then, at least 30 minutes later, take another photo of the reading. The number shouldn’t have changed, as there was no electricity going through your meter. So, if it has, then your meter could be faulty. Let us know once you’ve done that test and we can take it from there.

With regard to your first generation smart meter, I’m sorry that we’re not yet able to get remote readings. We are hoping to enroll all smart meters like yours before the end of the year, and we’ll email you once this is possible.

Any questions, please let us know.

Take care,

Niamh :bulb:

Hi our monthly bills with all previous supplier have been around the £95 per month so every year we switch… This year (Jan 21) with the “cashback” through another site to Bulb, it resulted in a monthly amount close to what we had historically paid. Fast forward, and smart meter install and the “wholesale price increase” now Bulb have suggested a monthly amount of £160…So my question is which utility companies are everyone looking to switch to.

Hi @Boxerdugz

I’ve had a look at your account and we’re receiving smart meter readings regularly which means our bills are really accurate to your use. You were paying about £100 a month but on average your monthly use is closer to £140 a month, which is why we reviewed your direct debit and have the suggested amount at the moment as £140ish. If you continued to pay the £100, debt would build on the account.

As we go into warmer months, your use might get lower and then so will the bills, as that happens the DD can be adjusted lower to reflect that- let me know if you have any questions! :blush:

– H :bulb:

Hi Holly

We were paying £111 per month and as I stated, taking into account the “cashback” we RECEIVED, this brought the amount close to the £95 per month that historically that we were paying with previous suppliers.
The way we use the energy hasn’t changed from previous years and previous suppliers.
We received an email from bulb stating that the DD had to increase to £140+ per month due the price increase, only to be informed via logging onto your app that our payments needed to be set at £160+ per month.
NOW… 3 days ago the monthly payment on the same app is starting that its set at the correct level of £140.
It appears that Bulb are very quick to increase payments …
The fact that the saving that we are making by using next to no gas at the moment has been wiped out by an increase in the “standing charge”
I suggest that everyone from bulb that gets involved on the community chat actually report back to the “senior management” that customers are NOT IMPRESSED AND ARE KEEN TO CHANGE SUPPLIERS

@Boxerdugz I’m not too sure which cash back you mean- Do you mean you received a referral or a refund?

Looking back at the bills over winter your use was higher than the £111 payments, for example the bill in Jan/Feb or £188 or Feb/March for £157 which is why the monthly average is higher. We are billing to your smart meter readings so it may be before with another supplier if you didn’t have a smart meter, you were billed more on estimates perhaps or they had a different tariff which would of course contribute to different costs.

We also have written about our price changes in our blog as well which mentions the change in wholesale prices which informed the change in tariff if you’d like more information on why those changed :blush:

We also don’t hold members to a contract so you’re free to switch at any time!

I know i may not be the brightest of bulbs, but this notification of increase I just received makes no sense

Blockquote You’re using £110.18 of energy a month on average, but you’re only paying £121.85 . That’s £-11.67 too low.

Your new direct debit will be £160.07 a month from 15 August

2 adults 1 bungalow…regular readings but still you use estimates.
Losing faith in what was a simple service when I joined.

Looks like yet another “HAPPY BULB”??? customer… :yum:

Hi @MrBandMrsB :wave:

Welcome to community and thanks for posting.

Hmm that is confusing - we need to look into this for you of course. I’ve just sent you an email so that I can take a personal look into this and get back to you as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Niamh :bulb: