Moved and lost my £50 bonus

Hi there,

I was originally with bulb, I had credit with them and was refunded this excluding the £50 when I moved, which is fine, I understand that as you have to close the account when you move.

But when signing back up with the referral again, I’ve been refused it, so I’m a bit confused as I’ve moved, I didn’t actuslly want to cancel but had no choice.

When did you leave Bulb (i.e. before this latest rejoining)?

Hi Allan R,

I moved in July, I realise there’s a 12month gap and I really do get that so that people don’t take them for a ride with the £50 bonus but when it comes to people moving and not having a choice but to leave and rejoin it is a little frustrating.

Obviously you knew why I asked the question about when you moved.

I can see where you coming from but I don’t see how Bulb is responsible for you moving and returning within six months.

Oh no, I didn’t mean they’re at fault, I didn’t know if they would be able to do anything, it would just be nice to have as I didn’t technically have it in the end as the account was closed due to moving, just didn’t know if they’d be able to reinstate it due to the circumstances.

Thank you for taking to time to chat about it though, to be honest I didn’t about the 12 month thing, it’s just a nice buffer to have is all, I don’t think I’m “entitled” to it just because… or they’re at fault, just annoying if you see what I mean.

Thanks,
Nick

I’m not sure this matters.

Referrals are for properties, not people, despite the wording of the offer. Providing the property hasn’t been with Bulb within the last 12 months (which you might not know or even be able to find out at the point of buying/leasing) then the referral should be valid. The name on the bill is irrelevant to the referral.

@nicholas.smithdale What exactly was the reason the referral was rejected? Are you certain it was because you were a customer within the last 12 months? Who was your new property supplied by before you switched it to Bulb? Do you know the history of the supply to the property?

If you move into a property that’s already supplied by Bulb, there’ll be no referral when you sign up as a customer because there’s nothing to refer. Likewise, if the property was with Bulb within the last 12 months, but the original owners switched away before then moving out, you wont get a valid Bulb referral. All of that is out of your control, which is annoying, but that’s the way it is. Either one of these two situations is the real reason for your referral to be denied, or your referral has been incorrectly rejected.

What does this part mean @nicholas.smithdale? That’s not right. Once a referral is paid into your Bulb account, that’s it, it’s done. There’s no “excluding” it when you move out and close your account, even if that happens the day after the referral is paid. Whatever balance was in your account will have been refunded to you.

1 Like

I was in credit with them £62 something, they refunded me the £12 something as I hadn’t dipped into the £50, this is was I assume anyway, but they definitely didn’t give it all to me, I suppose it’s similar to the £50 bonus you get when you deposit £10 for a first bet, you can withdraw the winnings but no the bonus, if that makes sense, I do understand if they don’t give you the £50 I do get that.

I was with British Gas before bulb at the old place, switched to bulb, a few months after I moved due to the landlord want to do renovations, in the new property I’m with shell which is forever creeping up monthly and would prefer to use bulb hence the switch, I don’t expect get the £50 twice, I just never used it to begin with and had no choice but to close the account.

I was mainly asking on here if anyone had an idea if they’d had the same issue and had it reinstated is all.

A other reason is just to make people aware that if you don’t use your bonus and move you could lose it if you rejoin within 12 months.

Thanks
Nick

The email I received said it’s because I had been with them before.

Ok, that’s new. I see here that:

17.2.4. Referrers must be existing Bulb members. Recruits must not have already signed up to Bulb or be an existing member, already on supply with Bulb, or a member of Bulb in the preceding 12 months, under any email address or alias.

That is a recent change and has not been announced by Bulb as far as I can see.

Sounds like you’re just a little too late.

You should have still got the original £50 as part of your total credit refund when the account was closed. Of course, your refund might still have been less than £50 depending on your final bill, but that doesn’t mean you didn’t get to “keep” the referral credit.

17.2.11. Rewards are not transferable and may not be auctioned, traded, bartered or sold. Upon termination of the programme or any portion thereof for any reason, or upon cancellation of a user’s Bulb account for any reason, any unredeemed rewards accumulated by the user are forfeited. Rewards that have been added as credit to the user’s account are considered redeemed, and will be refunded to the user on termination of a user’s Bulb account.

It sounds like you might be confusing your direct debit payment for “the bill”. They are not the same thing. Was it just your direct debit creeping up, or actual monthly increases to the cost of your energy in terms of unit rate (pence per kWh) and standing charge (pence per day)? I suspect you mean simply your direct debit was increasing, not the actual cost of your energy.

Ah that’s good to know about the not refunding of the bonus, but I wasn’t too bothered especially at the time as I just wanted to get the move done.

Yes you’re right the energy isn’t fluctuating as such but I pay upon receipt as I was switching and also on a flexible tariff too.

That’s a shame about being slightly too late, nevermind, it’s not the end of the world and I thank you for checking all this out for me.

Thanks
Nick