Moving electricity AND gas meters

Hello Bulb Community,

I want to move both our electricity and gas meters by a few centimetres as in the photo.

I am yet not clear on the cost of doing this through Bulb. It seems clear moving the electricity meter costs 95 pounds including VAT.

However I read conflicting quotes on the community, 162 pounds, ‘around 100 pounds’ and I have also been told 185 pounds and 235 pounds. As you can see from my photo, in my case, it is really a short move, on a clear and accessible wall, with no work required on the main pipe.

What are the factors that determine the fair cost of moving the gas meter? Has anyone done it? How much were you asked to pay?

I just found OVO Energy charge less then Bulb: £79.20 electricity and £124.80 for gas. I don’t want to switch to OVO just for this but it does work out £75 cheaper with them. Something for Bulb to think about… At least, price-match them?

@fulvio, I wonder if this is just down to the company that performs the meter replacements rather than Bulb adding anything on top (I doubt that OVO take a hit for this). Isolation switch installs are also cheaper with OVO.
Perhaps something that can be looked into.

It would be handy for Bulb to have a page listing prices like the one you linked though, whatever the cost.

Moving your energy meter less than 1 metre You'll need to contact your supplier and tell them you want to have your meter moved. Your supplier will give you a price for this. Prices vary, so you should also get prices from other suppliers and compare them. Only your current supplier can move your meter. This means if you want another supplier to do it you have to switch your supply to them first. This will change your prices for gas and electricity, so check that it’s worth it overall before you switch. See our advice on getting the best deal by switching supplier. If you’re a priority customer and you need to move your pre-payment meter because you’re finding it hard to read or access it, tell your supplier this - they should move it for free. You’ll most likely be a priority customer if you’re: a pensioner suffering from a long-term illness disabled on your supplier’s Priority Services Register
I don't want to switch to OVO just for this but it does work out £75 cheaper with them
Versus how much cheaper you are with Bulb.
I don't want to switch to OVO just for this but it does work out £75 cheaper with them
Versus how much cheaper you are with Bulb.
I think it's a fair comment that @fulvio made, regardless of how much they might be saving on general energy costs. I wouldn't expect my energy company to be making money on meter changes/moves, so I'd expect all companies to be quite similar and Bulb to be cheaper than others if anything.

I dont disagree but there will be regional variances so Bulb presumably will have to take some sort of average. Also depending on where the higher %s of customers are based will have a strong influence on price.
As the work will be sub contracted then again it will depend on the amount of meter moves they do, if they do 50 a year spread across the UK then each region gets maybe 5 a year, larger companies will be doing much more so can negotiate a better discounted rate.
As Bulb grows then I am sure the figure for moving a meter will reduce.

Hi @fulvio it seems there’s a lot of different info on what our price is for a meter move. I agree, I think it would be a good idea to publish all our prices online so everyone can access them, as OVO does.

To confirm, a meter move for Gas is £185.21 and electricity is £95.00 - and as we have no in-house metering team at the moment, like other suppliers do, these prices are dictated by what they charge for the job. Hopefully, as we grow, we will be able to offer better prices as our contracts with third parties strengthen.

and as we have no in-house metering team at the moment, like other suppliers do
For some reason I completely forgot about this whole concept. That makes complete sense - I've often seen competitor energy companies' vans outside neighbour's houses (I've been keeping track so I can refer them to Bulb...).