Moving from Economy7/2Rate to Single Rate

Hi,

As bulb customers are we able to come off a 2 rate tariff and meter, and move onto a single rate tariff and meter.

We inherited the Eco7/2 Rate when we moved a few years ago. Considering a smart meter but don’t know if it’s possible with 2 Rate.

Really want to come off a 2 rate as it’s no benefit at all to us and our peak time cost is going up higher than most people I know on a single rate tariff.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Weirdly, I came to this forum to post my 6 monthly query in relation to my Mum’s hassle with this, and saw your post.

She’s been waiting years for Bulb to switch the smart meter, that they recommended she got installed as the simplest and easiest way to move her from a dual rate to a true single rate, actually switched to be a properly configured single rate meter. They did start at least billing her on a single rate, with combined readings, reluctantly, after much hassling - don’t know if they do this for everyone though.

Details in the “From Economy 7 to a normal single-rate tariff” thread in the General forum.

Hi @jgoodman :wave:

Currently we’re not able to switch members over from 2 rate to single rate or vice versa unless in an emergency situation, such as a lack of overnight heating/power. We are planning to be able to offer this to our members in the near future, so we can add you to our waiting list so that we can arrange that for you once available. To switch you, you would need to have a smart meter installed, as your current meter is a 2 rate meter by design.

Looking at your account, I would say however that you currently benefit from being on a 2 rate tariff. To be financially worthwhile, the general rule is that at least 40-50% of your usage should be recorded on the night rate and the rest on the day rate. Looking at your readings, since you joined us a few years ago, you have used around 86% of your energy on the night rate. Therefore if this usage carried on, you would be losing money being on the single rate tariff rather than the 2 rate one.

-Luke :bulb:

I also requested this when I joined Bulb several years ago. Still waiting. When I enquire, they want to know why I want to change. When looking at my account, they agree that I would be better off, but its OK because I’m on the waiting list. So… Still waiting. Now the usage tracking in the app doesn’t work either. I’m afraid I no longer trust Bulb in the slightest. Why am I not allowed to I lower my direct debit, when they are charging me almost £50 over my bill, and I am £400 in credit. I think I am bailing them out somehow, and it all seems rather suspicious to me.

Currently we’re not able to switch members over from 2 rate to single rate or vice versa unless in an emergency situation, such as a lack of overnight heating/power. We are planning to be able to offer this to our members in the near future, so we can add you to our waiting list so that we can arrange that for you once available. To switch you, you would need to have a smart meter, as your current meter is a 2 rate meter by design.

@LukeM_at_Bulb given that my Mum has been waiting for nearly two and half years now, along with @finfeature5 , what does “near future” mean?

Bulb support actually mislead my Mum into getting a smart meter all those years ago, telling her it was a “simple switch” to move it to single rate that could be done immediately after installation - she didn’t want a smart meter, but she made the move solely to get on a single rate. Now she’s stuck on a dual rate smart meter with you. That fact that it’s now seemingly hard to change her meter to single rate isn’t her fault, it’s Bulb’s.

Isn’t there a simple solution to this: why not switch these people onto a single rate standard meter? It’s Bulb’s mistake that has lead to this, but it seems pretty easy for you to fix if you do that?

If I were you, @finfeature5 , I’d at least press them to bill you on a single rate with a combination of the two smart meter readings.
You’ll have to hassle them - they won’t do this without pushing back first - but they will do it, as that’s exactly how my Mum is being billed, after much pushing and complaining :frowning: .
No idea why they made that so difficult, nor why they can’t hold their hands up, apologise for misleading folk on dual rate standard meters onto smart meters with the promise of a reconfiguration onto a single rate and actually do something to resolve the problem for them that they have created.

As we know, it’s literally years now that this “promise” of dual rate smart meter re-configuration to single rate has been offered - it’s always on the horizon, and it never materialises. Ofgem have been blamed for this, but with no detail given.

I’d also be interested in moving to single rate. I use about 20% at night. It will probably be even less in future as I’ve recently had a smart meter installed and my very old meter had slipped so much that i was on cheap rates from about half 9 at night.

Sounds like maybe I should have asked for a single rate metre to be installed instead.

Sounds like maybe I should have asked for a single rate metre to be installed instead.

That’s part of the problem. They might have installed a single rate standard meter for you, thus reconfiguring your supply to a single rate, if you knew to ask - however, instead, they were actively recommending people on dual rate standard meters to move to a smart meter - a free install and to be reconfigured to single rate after installation. Unfortunately, the reality is that that’s not the case at all :frowning: . Now you’ve got a dual rate smart meter you’re stuck with it. It’s shocking really: I’ve asked no end of times over the years and it’s always “hopefully soon” and “we’re working on it” - I can never get any details of how far along they are with this, what the timescales are etc. etc.

In my Mum’s case I really wish we’d just had a standard single rate meter installed. If there were a charge for the smart meter install you’d call it misselling - as it stands, my Mum’s now stuck with a dual rate install that can’t (it seems) be changed at all - 2 and a half years waiting seems fair proof of that.

As in my response above though, you might have to badger them (unless they’re more open to it now) but they will combine your two meter readings automatically and bill you on their single rate in the end. That’s what they do for my Mum, so if you’re told that’s not possible then it’s not the case.