Moving home query

Hi, I’ve just moved home and want to stay with bulb. I submitted my final meter readings etc but it seems to have closed my account and now I need to open a new one for my new property? I had quite a lot of credit on my accou t and hoped this would apply to my new one. I assume it won’t? Will I be refunded the credit?

Energy suppliers do not supply people, they supply properties.

Bulb will continue to supply your old property after you have moved out. By submitting your final meter readings you have told Bulb you are no longer responsible for the supply to that property, but nevertheless the supply will continue. Whoever moves into the property after you will contact Bulb and take over the responsibility for the supply. Hence your account is closed. Any credit you had remaining will be refunded to you eventually, but this can take up to 6 weeks for your final readings to be approved by a third party regulator, and then longer still for the actual refund to be made.

In your new property, unless the energy supply is already registered with Bulb you will have to initiate a switch of suppliers. It might be easier to first contact the current supplier and give them the opening meter readings, since they already know what the closing readings were and hence can handle things more quickly. For example, if there is a disagreement between your opening readings and the closing readings they were given by the previous occupier. If you’ve already started a switch to Bulb without contacting the current supplier, that’s fine, it just can make things a little confusing.

In any case, once the property is with Bulb you’ll be able to pay your refund from your old account into your new account by making use of the one-off “topup” function. This is a good idea to keep your energy account in good shape. Many people treat such a refund as a windfall and then wonder why their new monthly payments are so high when their account goes into debt! But this does have to be done manually, since as you’ve found you do end up with separate accounts due to the accounts being attached to a property and not to a person.