Moving my electric meter

Hi,

I’m about to move house, we are looking at doing a good amount of renovation, one of the ideas is to put an ‘office’ in the space under the stairs.

Problem is that the electric meter is under the stairs, does anyone know the rough cost of work to get the electric meter moved? I would ideally like it outside, for ease of reading etc.

I have an electrician ready to come into the house as soon as the we have the keys to do a complete rewire of the property - I assume if we were to go ahead with moving the meter, it would be a good idea to have the work done the same time as the re-wire?

Thanks in advance,
Rich.

according to ‘Nasir@bulb’ on my similar post “the cost of moving electricity meters as of 27/02/2018 is £95 (inc VAT) and for gas meters the cost is £185.21 (inc VAT)”

Hi @rjl603, @duckfreckles is correct in part.

It depends how far the meter move is. If you need to move your electricity meter more than a distance of 1m, you’ll need your distributor to come in to do this job, so that they can sort out the wiring!

If not, it will just be us moving it, and it would be £95!

If you want to discuss this, drop us an email at help@bulb.co.uk or give us a ring at 0300 30 30 635 from Monday to Friday (9:00 am to 6:00 pm).

Is it the same fee for moving it from inside to outside walls?

@duckfreckles - if you wish to move it ‘through’ a wall from the inside to outside then the distributor will have to move the supply then we can come to move the meter. In this instance the first step is to contact your distributor who will be able to quote you for their portion of the job