Moving out and can’t get meter reading

Hi, I’ve moved out and want to close my account but haven’t got access to the meter in the building for the meter reading, is there a way to close the account without this?

The new occupant should have taken over the supply and hopefully provided Bulb with an opening reading, which can be used as your closing reading.

Failing that estimates will be used. You should contact Bulb anyway to explain.

The last thing to do when moving is take meter readings.