Moving out

Im currently with bulb, moving out on the 1st. I’ve notified bulb that im moving out and when to put in the last reading, however i want to try and set up bulb in my new place as soon as possible. it says it takes 21 days, can i start it now before actually moving in?

I went through the “moving address” process and bulb confirmed that my account will be closed as soon as I leave.
However, I wanted to get bulb installed at my new house, but am failing to see how to do that… unless I have to sign up as a new account…
I wanted to talk to someone at bulb customer service, but their support number is only available during office hours.
Any ideas?

Im currently with bulb, moving out on the 1st. I've notified bulb that im moving out and when to put in the last reading, however i want to try and set up bulb in my new place as soon as possible. it says it takes 21 days, can i start it now before actually moving in?

You can only switch the energy supplier of a property when you are legally responsible for that property. So, no, you can’t start a switch until you’ve taken over the property. On the day you take legal responsibility for the property you’ll have to contact the existing supplier to arrange starting payment, and only then begin a switch to Bulb. That means you might end up paying a higher tariff for the first month, but hey, I’m sure that’s not going to bankrupt you.

I’m not sure I understand when you say you notified Bulb you’re moving out and went to enter the last meter reading. You need to take the reading on the day you leave, which you’ve said is the 1st, so you can’t enter your last reading until then.

I went through the "moving address" process and bulb confirmed that my account will be closed as soon as I leave. However, I wanted to get bulb installed at my new house, but am failing to see how to do that... unless I have to sign up as a new account... I wanted to talk to someone at bulb customer service, but their support number is only available during office hours. Any ideas?

The “moving address” process is wrong. Bulb should not be advertising it this way. You do not in any way “take Bulb with you”. Energy suppliers do not supply people, they supply properties. When you move out, your account with Bulb will close, but Bulb will continue to supply the property for the new owners until they choose otherwise.

Similarly when you move in, your property will continue to be supplied by whoever the previous owners were using. You’ll have to contact that supplier and arrange to start making payment, the same as Welshinho above. Once you have legal responsibility for the property, and have arranged payment with the existing supplier, only then can you begin switching the property to Bulb in the same way you did for your existing property now.

Similarly when you move in, your property will continue to be supplied by whoever the previous owners were using. You’ll have to contact that supplier and arrange to start making payment, the same as Welshinho above. Once you have legal responsibility for the property, and have arranged payment with the existing supplier, only then can you begin switching the property to Bulb in the same way you did for your existing property now.

Doesn’t Bulb already mention this aspect in their moving blurb?

Doesn't Bulb already mention this aspect in their moving blurb?

They do if you read the whole thing.

But they still describe it as “To take Bulb to your new home, sign up with your new details” when you’re absolutely not “taking Bulb with you”, as we’ve discussed on here previously.

Doesn't Bulb already mention this aspect in their moving blurb?

They do if you read the whole thing.

But they still describe it as “To take Bulb to your new home, sign up with your new details” when you’re absolutely not “taking Bulb with you”, as we’ve discussed on here previously.

I had read the whole thing and it was tongue in cheek on my part as I already knew the answer to my query but it was in response when you mentioned " On the day you take legal responsibility for the property you’ll have to contact the existing supplier to arrange starting payment, and only then begin a switch to Bulb.".

I had read the whole thing and it was tongue in cheek on my part

Sorry, I didn’t mean you specifically. I know you’ve read it. I meant if someone reading that article actually reads the whole thing, then yes Bulb do indeed mention it. But that relies on someone not only reading the article, but also not doing a “too long didn’t read” and not getting to the specifics. Bulb need to be more clear about this and that article needs some significant rewording.