Moving out

Hi there,

I am writing to ask about changing my all details (including account name/e-mail).
I am no longer living in that flat, because I seperate with my fiancee. Now she is in charge of all bills and everything.
Can we change my details for hers ? (e-mail, account name)
I know I can change paymet method but I don’t want my name to be a part of it anylonger.
Hope you can help me.

Kind regards,

Best you contact Bulb direct, as I understand it they will have to speak to your fiancee to get her permission.